Question New PC started to be really noisy after visiting sketchfab.com

Jan 25, 2023
Hi
So i got a new pre-build pc about 2 weeks ago which didn't make any noise unless under a lot of load, but now after visiting sketchfab one time, the fans are constantly really noisy and i've started to notice a lot of "janky" noise, which from what i've read might be bubbles in the water pump that to be fair could have been there before the fans started to be noisy.
Now some context to how it started:

I've been playing rdr2 while watching some youtube videos on the side and got some error sometime when trying to boot the game while a video was playing.
One of the things i tried to do to fix it was to turn off hardware acceleration in chrome, that didn't fix it but i forgot to turn it back on and i think this might be the culprit to the problem i'm facing.

A day or so later i was in need of a temp 3d model for some hobby game development so i went to sketchfab and as soon as it tried to load a model on the site the fans started going crazy, it was really slow to load the model and they looked a bit low res aswell. After restarting my pc the fans were still spinning fast where before they didn't make a sound.
I tried to turn hardware acceleration back on in chrome and now the models load fast and the look nice and crisp but fans are spinning fast and making a lot of noise compared to before.

If anybody have had something like this happen before and/or know a fix for it i would really appreciate it
I've attached a screenshot of what my system look like in "open Hardware monitor" I unfortunately didn't have it installed before so don't what it looked like when it was quite.
And from what I can tell "Fan Control #6" is the water pump just so there is no confusion
Appreciate any help i can get and thanks for your time :)

N3W5BYu.png

TLDR:
PC quiet
I'm an idiot and tried to load a 3D model in chrome with hardware acceleration off, it was slow and made my pc's fan spin a lot.
Restart pc and still noisy and i'm sad :(

Did you install anything from the sketchfab website? Any program, viewer or anything at all?

Also, it would be helpful if instead of Open hardware monitor you'd download and install HWinfo, and then post screenshots that include the expansion of the core frequency and usage while it is behaving like this, plus the individual core and motherboard sensor temperatures. In fact, it might be helpful to post several screenshots, scrolling down between images, to include ALL of the sensor values. Only the core temperatures and usage need to be fully expanded though if they are not already by default.

I don't trust Open hardware monitor nor HWmonitor, as you can see in your screenshot it is reading one of the temperature sensors as -9°C which obviously is impossible, and this as well as misreading one sensor as a different one is not uncommon with either of those programs. HWinfo is commonly more accurate than either of them and I recommend using it rather than those utilities. It's also free, so no worries there.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023
Did you install anything from the sketchfab website? Any program, viewer or anything at all?

Also, it would be helpful if instead of Open hardware monitor you'd download and install HWinfo, and then post screenshots that include the expansion of the core frequency and usage while it is behaving like this, plus the individual core and motherboard sensor temperatures. In fact, it might be helpful to post several screenshots, scrolling down between images, to include ALL of the sensor values. Only the core temperatures and usage need to be fully expanded though if they are not already by default.

I don't trust Open hardware monitor nor HWmonitor, as you can see in your screenshot it is reading one of the temperature sensors as -9°C which obviously is impossible, and this as well as misreading one sensor as a different one is not uncommon with either of those programs. HWinfo is commonly more accurate than either of them and I recommend using it rather than those utilities. It's also free, so no worries there.

Thanks for the help, and no I didn't download or install anything, I just opened a link to a model page which then loads the 3d model in a small window
I'll try HWinfo later and post some more screen shots from that, thanks

Make sure your fans are set to PWM in bios, might have popped over to DC
Actually, that totally depends on the fans. They might BE DC voltage controlled fans, or PWM fans, or some combination of the two even, so in reality what you want to do is simply go into the BIOS and make sure the control type for each fan matches the type of fan it is. Generally (Usually) speaking if they are three pin fans they are DC controlled and if they are four pin fans they are PWM controlled BUT there are some exceptions as there ARE some four pin fans that are NOT PWM controlled. Knowing the models of all the fans would help to positively determine that.

We also need to know where EACH of those fans is connected, as in, specifically which header on the board, because in reality there are only FOUR case fan headers on that board. The other three headers are for CPU, CPU OPT and AIO pump, and probably by default not designated to run off the "motherboard" temperature sensors and instead are set to run off the CPU thermal sensors. And if they are using PWM splitter cables to connect any two of those fans to the same header and one of them is a DC fan, that too will likely result in problems with fan control.

Jan 25, 2023
We also need to know where EACH of those fans is connected, as in, specifically which header on the board, because in reality there are only FOUR case fan headers on that board. The other three headers are for CPU, CPU OPT and AIO pump, and probably by default not designated to run off the "motherboard" temperature sensors and instead are set to run off the CPU thermal sensors. And if they are using PWM splitter cables to connect any two of those fans to the same header and one of them is a DC fan, that too will likely result in problems with fan control.

If I get time today I'll take a look, but I bought it from komplett which is a big Nordic online retailer and from what I read they have a dedicated team that only builds pcs so I'm sure they know what they are doing, but we are humans so mistakes can happen

Jan 25, 2023
Looks like your motherboard should have Asus Ai cooling software somewhere. If you don't have it, download it. Should allow you to set a manual can curve or maybe recalibrate the auto tune.
Hmm now that you mention it I don't think I've seen it under installed software, definitely trying that when I get home, thanks for the tip👌

Jan 25, 2023

Alright i downloaded HWiNFO, this is all take when just running chrome with my pc making noise
yKHMAJk.png

hvgaRm9.png

i6kEGA4.png

Yes, all these problems and now the network adapter quit working? It really sounds like a motherboard problem. Let us know if the replacement board doesn't solve the issue.

The only fan header that shows a high RPM is the AIO pump, which SHOULD be running at or near full speed the majority of the time. It might simply be that there is a problem with the AIO that is causing so much noise unless you are actually seeing very high fan speeds and even then it could be the fans on the AIO and not a case fan. It would help to verify WHERE exactly the noise is coming from to narrow things down but obviously that can wait until after you've replaced the board.

Jan 25, 2023
Yes, all these problems and now the network adapter quit working? It really sounds like a motherboard problem. Let us know if the replacement board doesn't solve the issue.

The only fan header that shows a high RPM is the AIO pump, which SHOULD be running at or near full speed the majority of the time. It might simply be that there is a problem with the AIO that is causing so much noise unless you are actually seeing very high fan speeds and even then it could be the fans on the AIO and not a case fan. It would help to verify WHERE exactly the noise is coming from to narrow things down but obviously that can wait until after you've replaced the board.
So after some more digging around in settings and bios I found that if I set the DC of the AIO pump to 60% most of the noise is gone but as you said it should be at 100%
So that really doesn't fix the problem just hide it and since it was set to 100% before the noise started, it just confirms that it's not a fix

Feb 1, 2023
You probably only needed to replace the noisy fan. You can get a noise meter app for your phone to help detect which one and replace it. Other option is to replace the fan, one by one, till the noise stops.