New PC starts with i7 but doesn´t show anything on the Monitor while a i3 doesn´t start at all.

xraging

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017
So, a friend of mine has the issue that for some reason his Mainboard isn´t updated and therefore doesn´t work with an i7 (?). he bought a i3 so he could update the Mainboard to reach the BIOS settings but instead the PC now doesnt really start at all. It´s blinking for a few secs and then stops. Switching back to the i7 does start but then the issue with no picture comes again. We also tried to remove the Mainboard Battery and leave it for 20 minutes because we don´t find or understand the CLRTC or Jumper function of the Mainboard which is a Asus Rog Strix z370-f btw. Any help is really appreciated.

Edit: If you need more details pls let me know ofc.
Parts:
Power Supply: BeQuiet 500 Watt Pure Power 10 CM Modular 80+ Silver
CPU´s: i7 Core 8700 non-k and i3 Core 6100 non-k
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP Black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

Solution
If the mobo has onboard video remove the videocard.

See if onboard works. Make sure the ram is in the right slot. And make sure you hear it click into the slot. Press down at both ends.

xraging

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

Well he bought the i3 out of desperation but it seems like the Mobo isnt supporting anything below the 8. Generation which means it doesn´t work but than I´m still wondering about the i7 Problem with it not showing the Bios at all.

Edit: He just mentioned something about a orange light which indicates DRAM in the User Manual.

Thats right Coffee Lake doesnt support Kaby Lake or Skylake. Only Coffee Lake CPU's

Did you connect the cpu fan, ATX12v, and 24 pin??

Did you install the standoffs if the mobo is in the case?

You didnt remove the CLRTC jumper did you?? Because it wont post if you did

The ram is DDR4 right?? DDR3 wont work

xraging

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

Yes all connected.

Yes the standoffs are installed aswell.

About the CLRTC Jumper we have no clue so he didn´t touch it. All I can see are 2 Pins coming out.

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

xraging

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

He says that atm with everything installed (HDD, Graphics Card and etc) he gets an orange light which indicates something about the Dram.

xraging

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

He removed the GPU and tried it with the mobo onboard one. Didnt change anything.

The RAM is in A2B2. He also already tried with one Stick only and other combinations aswell. Nothing changed.

xraging

Reputable
Nov 3, 2017

He´s going to buy DDR4 2400 Mhz today so he can try it if that´s the issue. One interesting thing I found out about the RAM is that for some reason it doesn´t run on 3200 Mhz, but on 2933 by default on the x370 ones. Could this be an issue for the z one aswell?