[SOLVED] New PC stuttering in GTA V

Apr 11, 2020
Hi all,
So I finished my PC build and have downloaded GTA V as my first game on the system and immediately ran into a single issue. The game stutters here and there.
My monitor is 1920 x 1080 so naturally I have it set at that in the game and my specs are:
i5 9600K
RX 5700 Mech OC
16GB RAM
Windows 10

I should be more than comfortable with running the game and it runs smoothly 70% of the time but I'm sick of seeing it go from smooth to stuttering at any given time and just need help to have it run smoothly.

Solution
First possibility is RAM you do have 16Gb but still with a bunch of pages open in chrome it could still force windows to use the pagefile.

Second more probable cause is that the game has its main thread running at a high priority which ** forces windows to cut off secondary tasks until the main task finishes...since this is a game though the main task doesn't finish until you quit the game and since the main thread needs the info from the secondary tasks to continue you get all kinds of issues from longer loading times to missing textures to stutters or slow downs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw

Do not try this at home,since rockstar is known to ban people for anything and...
First possibility is RAM you do have 16Gb but still with a bunch of pages open in chrome it could still force windows to use the pagefile.

Second more probable cause is that the game has its main thread running at a high priority which ** forces windows to cut off secondary tasks until the main task finishes...since this is a game though the main task doesn't finish until you quit the game and since the main thread needs the info from the secondary tasks to continue you get all kinds of issues from longer loading times to missing textures to stutters or slow downs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw

Do not try this at home,since rockstar is known to ban people for anything and tempering with the game threads definitely is ban worthy.

Instead lowering the FPS with a FPS limiter (same as a weaker GPU would do naturally) will cause the main thread to pause more often since it won't have to keep up with the GPU giving you the same result.

If a higher-priority thread becomes available to run, the system ceases to execute the lower-priority thread (without allowing it to finish using its time slice) and assigns a full time slice to the higher-priority thread.

Since it's an online game messing with the game might get you kicked or even banned so use at your own discretion.

Solution
Apr 11, 2020

GTA V loading times
Do not try this at home,since rockstar is known to ban people for anything and tempering with the game threads definitely is ban worthy.

Instead lowering the FPS with a FPS limiter (same as a weaker GPU would do naturally) will cause the main thread to pause more often since it won't have to keep up with the GPU giving you the same result.

Since it's an online game messing with the game might get you kicked or even banned so use at your own discretion.
I actually managed to stabilise the stuttering so thankyou for offering to help. Could you also help me on another matter that I posted a thread on? It's to do with me renaming the file containing GTA V back to just GTA V as apparently that interfered with modding it and in turn, when trying to launch it with Rage, the game suddenly started reinstalling on Steam and I have no clue how to correct it. Here is the thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/game-reinstalling-for-no-reason.3594642/