Reputable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi, I just built a new pc with the specs;

Intel® Core™ i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz

Gigabyte Z390 UD

CORSAIR Memory — 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL15 DIMM

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Navi 10)

ZOWIE XL LCD (BNQ7F3F) 144hz

so, I'm trying playing games like usual, 1080p 144hz. like cs:go, pubg, battlefield v, and I've noticed that I have little fps drops, and as I saw in benchmarks of gpu and cpu, I should get more fps as I'm getting now. the ram as I noticed up ^, it's not from the new specs, there is a way that the ram makes problem? thanks

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19693772

Solution
You simply cannot get away with using single ram configurations in gaming oriented PCs. This affects the cpu's performance, as it works in tandem with the ram.
It's fine for lighter tasks though.

You have a dual channel motherboard, get 2 sticks.

1)Buy a 2x 8GB kit and replace the single 16GB stick(recommended)
2)Buy an extra stick of ram and add to the one you already have(not recommended)
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold. 2 sticks purchased separately, even of the same brand and specs can still fail - they just have the highest compatibility rate.
-Symptoms of incompatible ram may not show up right away, that's why such a configuration must be thoroughly tested, and I don't mean with Windows Memory Diagnostic - it's simply...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You simply cannot get away with using single ram configurations in gaming oriented PCs. This affects the cpu's performance, as it works in tandem with the ram.

2)Buy an extra stick of ram and add to the one you already have(not recommended)
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold. 2 sticks purchased separately, even of the same brand and specs can still fail - they just have the highest compatibility rate.
-Symptoms of incompatible ram may not show up right away, that's why such a configuration must be thoroughly tested, and I don't mean with Windows Memory Diagnostic - it's simply not thorough enough.
-Prime95(blend mode), AIDA64(free trial is limited, unfortunately), and Memtest86 to test compatibility
-Just get a new kit and save yourself the possible headache

Last edited:
Solution

lescofieldo

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016

Yes... I planned already to buy 2 sticks, I just wanted make sure what cause stuttering fps, thanks

lescofieldo

Reputable
Apr 21, 2016

-Symptoms of incompatible ram may not show up right away, that's why such a configuration must be thoroughly tested, and I don't mean with Windows Memory Diagnostic - it's simply not thorough enough.
-Prime95(blend mode), AIDA64(free trial is limited, unfortunately), and Memtest86 to test compatibility
-Just get a new kit and save yourself the possible headache
Okay, so I got today 2x16 2666 cl13 kit and and there's so much better performance. thanks.

Reactions: Phaaze88