[SOLVED] New PC That I Am About To Build

Jan 14, 2019
Hello. I am going to order these parts to build my new pc. I'm going to be animating/modeling in Cinema 4D, and I thought I should post it here to see if you guys have any recommendations for different parts?

Thanks,
Ben

Solution

enauwen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Dont you think at least one 1440p 27" monitor would be better, especially when you are doing animation/modeling? 22" is pretty small and can be annoying for workloads sometimes. The rest looks solid imo.

Jan 14, 2019

Yeah, I'll look into that. Thanks!

enauwen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Glad i can help, are you planning to do some gaming too, or just animation/modeling? If your only intention is to work with that pc, a 60Hz refreshrate is enough, but for gaming a g-sync/g-sync compatible 144Hz display will be better, but more expensiv.

Jan 14, 2019

Pretty much just work. Maybe some light gaming here and there but mostly work. I looked into some 1440p monitors in my price range, and I think it would be best to get the two 1080p monitors, because in the end, the thing that matters is PPI. A 1440p monitor would only have like 6 PPI more than the 1080p one, so having two would have more monitor space, and I definitely think the 2070 can handle it. Plus, it's not much more to get two 1080ps than one 1440p

lautarolzl

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Well, I think you should provide more info about your needs in the first place. You said a RTX2070 for GPU so I believe budget is not an issue am I right? If true then consider a Quadro as LordVille suggests and pair them with a Xeon or a threatripper CPU. Of course, this means ECC memory sticks but that would be a really really nice workstation (And expensive).

If I got too excited about that and wanna slow down, how about a nice Ryzen 7? It's cheaper than an Intel i9 with almost the same performance and a lot of cores. I'been using an R7 2700X with 16 cores for rendering/3D Modeling and it works like a charm. If you can wait, the 3000 series will be launching soon and it doubles the cores, up to 32 at higher frequencies, Mad!

You can pair it with an RTX2070, they'll work pretty nice together.

Jan 14, 2019

Well, the budget is actually right around how much I'm spending right now, which is about $2000. I already have the Ryzen 7 2700X picked out, which was before you asked that, so I'm wondering why you said that? Also, the R7 2700X has 8 Cores. Maybe you were thinking of the 16 Threads? Overall, I think I'm going to stick with the parts I've chosen, but I would like to ask some more questions:

I was wondering if SLI is a good idea, because I may want more power later on.

Also, is it worth the risk of getting a liquid cooler? Because it may spill when I'm changing the water? I'm not even sure if I'm going to overclock so I don't know if I should bother getting a liquid cooler.

lautarolzl

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

As a Content creator myself, I must say you don't really need SLI for this purpose, I would suggest going for a Quadro GPU instead. Consider that a dual GPU setup requires some tweaking and not all apps are optimized for this set up to work. Also, two cards run two fans which mean a bit more noise and of course more heat to dissipate, remember you'll be needing a bigger power supply. Quadro cards don't have SLI for a reason.

Regarding liquid cooling, it's really just aesthetics. Performance is the same, so if you plan on adding a bit of personality to your setup and we're still on the budget, you could pick it up.

Hope it helps!

Solution