New PC Total Lock Up Issues.

Exokyn

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I recently put together a computer with parts from Newegg.ca. While I have technical experience and a decent knowledge of computers, I have never actually done so before and followed a tutorial online to piece it together.

Everything seemed to go well hardware wise so I quickly installed Windows 7 alongside updating all the drivers and setting up, afterwards, steam and origin for gaming.

During a session of PlanetSide 2 I encountered my first Lock up while in battle. I remember unzooming my scope to have the screen freeze static, a high pitched buzzing to blare from the screen, my keyboard and mouse shut down, and yet, surprisingly, all the system lights and fans continued their merry way.

This has happened a few more times since. Once more on PlanetSide 2 during a larger battle but whilst running up a hill. Once on Crysis 3 after an auto-save. Again on Civ 5 running a mod.

I figured perhaps it could only be the games--HWMonitor read fairly reasonable temps in CPU (50-60) and GPU (60-70) while running the games at the most intense moments. But then, just yesterday, my PC locked up a few minutes after start up while I was using HWMonitor just to check my idle temps, then another time after that just using HWMonitor, I took off the case door to remove the stock heat sink thermal paste and replace it with aftermarket paste and upon turning my PC and then replacing the PC Side Door I received a third lock up... While also using HWMonitor to check the new paste's effects.

I've manually set the Timings on my RAM, I've checked for distended or burst caps on my MOBO, and I don't believe it is the cause of my PSU or GPU.

Help?

These are my system specs:
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz

Seagate Momentus XT STBD750100 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

SeaSonic SSP-650RT 650W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus Gold Certified Active PFC Power Supply

SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
That's pretty strange...
Have you tried updating your BIOS?
You've also mentioned that you've installed/updated all drivers. Just making sure: have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard and the latest gfx drivers from www.amd.com/drivers ?

Exokyn

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

I haven't tried updating the BIOS just yet, though I have gotten the latest drivers. Though, as I was typing the question out, I stumbled upon a common denominator in all of the Lock Ups. Each and every single time I locked up I had been running HWMonitor. Furthermore, Civ 5 played fine for hours until I quit the game I was playing to start up a mod. I realized HWMonitor wasn't on so I opened it then set to playing for another hour or so to another Lock Up.

I've read online that a number of others have had this lock up issue with HWMonitor, a few with the same MOBO as me. I think I'm going to try to see if the lock ups continue after uninstalling the software. But, please feel free to offer other suggestions.

Exokyn

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Five days since I uninstalled HWMonitor and not one single lock up. Ironic that the program intended to help prevent issues by keeping an eye on temperatures was the very thing causing a severe issue.

RE. HWMonitor by CPUID. Myself and others on here have had bad readings from this program. Mine was a reading of 6v on the 12v and 3 v on the 5v when trying to check on a PSU problem.
Try AIDA64 (full version requires $) and HWINFO64; I am currently using the latter and it works well.