Question New PC turns on, fans start spinning increasingly faster & PC shuts down about 20 seconds later

Jan 30, 2022
Hello guys,
I just finished building my new PC and I can't get it to work properly. When I turn on the PSU and then press the power button the PC turns on, the RGB comes to life, the fans start spinning slowly. Some of the motherboard´s EZ debug LEDS turn on: The red CPU led turns on first for about 7 seconds, then the DRAM led is skipped and the white VGA led turns on for about 5 seconds and in some cases the green boot LED also turns on (They sort of cycle through chronologically and only one LED is lit at a time but the DRAM one is skipped). During this time the fans start to spin increasingly faster until, about 20 seconds later, I hear a click and the entire PC turns off. Of course I never got a display signal.

First of all here are the specs of my PC build:

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 LHR
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570s Edge Max WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 2x16GB
PSU: Corsair RM850x (2021)
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME SSD
CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 360mm AIO with 3x 120mm fans
Other fans: 4x Corsair LL120 2x Corsair 120mm
Case: Corsair 5000d Airflow

Things I already did:

-I made sure all the cables were connected correctly
-I reset the CMOS with the board´s dedicated CMOS button and by physically removing the battery: Nothing changed
-I updated the BIOS: Nothing changed
-I re-positioned my RAM sticks checking all RAM slots in single channel & dual channel configurations. I also tested all RAM slots with a single RAM stick: Nothing changed
-I swapped the SSD with another M.2 NVME SSD: Nothing changed
-I put the GPU in a different PCIE slot and even removed it entirely to see if the PC would at least not shut down immediately, knowing that I wouldn't get a display signal anyway: Again nothing changed
-I tried using different ATX, PCIE & Sata cables (Leftover cables from the PSU): Nothing changed

The only possibilities left are: Damaged CPU, broken motherboard or malfunctioning PSU (Although the fans & lighting turn on, the voltage may vary)
I can't imagine having broken any of the parts myself, since I grounded myself and handled all of the components with more care than you anyone could imagine. I also made sure not to touch any sensitive areas of the components.

Since I don't have any parts to test the rest of my PC´s components nor do I have the budget to acquire further ones or friends that could lend me their components, I´m truly frustrated. I hope somebody on this forum can help me. I would be eternally grateful!

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2022
Ok, so I installed the CPU cooler now and as a result the PC doesnt turn off immediately afte 30s. Although it remains on I dont receive a display signal on my monitor.
I checked all of the connections, the monitor, the HDMI cable and plugged the HDMI cable into my GPU since I´m using a Ryzen 5900x.
Do you know what could be causing this issue? It`s driving me nuts :)

Jan 30, 2022
BTW I also checked and my motherboard is definitely seated correctly and all of the cables are most certainly plugged in correctly.
Yet I still don`t get a display signal and the green EZ debug LED labelled boot remains on even 20min after turning on the PC...
And the DRAM LED is also getting skipped when cycling through the EZ debug LEDS on startup.
I checked and my RAM is not listed in the motherboard QVL but it should still work in theory since it´s Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL DDR4 RAM and would technically fit the motherboard.

my RAM is not listed in the motherboard QVL but it should still work in theory since it´s Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL DDR4 RAM and would technically fit the motherboard.
definitely not true.
just because a certain module fits into a motherboard DIMM slot does not indicate that it will work correctly, or at all.
one big reason a kit will not appear in the QVL is because it has been reported incompatible by other users and the manufacturer has deemed it to not be compatible.

Jan 30, 2022
definitely not true.
just because a certain module fits into a motherboard DIMM slot does not indicate that it will work correctly, or at all.
one big reason a kit will not appear in the QVL is because it has been reported incompatible by other users and the manufacturer has deemed it to not be compatible.
I wasnt sure if thats the case because I tried running the same configuration with an Asus Prime x570-Pro motherboard 2 weeks ago and the RAM also wasn`t listed in the motherboard QVL. I managed to boot into the bios/ get a display signal about once every 12 tries and thought the board was broken, so I replaced with the MSI MPG X570S Edge WiFi Max. With this board I´m not able to get any display signal, no matter how often I try and the RAM is also not listed in the motherboard QVL... Do you happen to know what the problem is?

Jan 30, 2022
Does your 3080 have 3 8pin connectors? are all three connected to your PSU? Or is there 2 8pin connectors? All must be connected to your PSU.
My RTX 3080 has 2 8-pin connectors and they are both connected to the GPU via one PCIE cable that splits into 2x 8-pin connectors on the GPUs end. I dont think I need to use 2 PCIE PSU cables, do I?

Jan 30, 2022
you were running the system with no CPU cooler?
and before it was installed you could access the BIOS?
On my current MSI motherboard I tried running the PC without a CPU cooler, since I wanted to see if everything works/ boots up before installing the cooler (wasn`t sure if the CPU might be the problem). After realising that the missing CPU cooler was causing my system to automatically turn off after about 20-30seconds, I immediately added it. However I´m still not getting a display signal. Could you please help me?

Jan 30, 2022
I wasnt sure if thats the case because I tried running the same configuration with an Asus Prime x570-Pro motherboard 2 weeks ago and the RAM also wasn`t listed in the motherboard QVL. I managed to boot into the bios/ get a display signal about once every 12 tries and thought the board was broken, so I replaced with the MSI MPG X570S Edge WiFi Max. With this board I´m not able to get any display signal, no matter how often I try and the RAM is also not listed in the motherboard QVL... Do you happen to know what the problem is?
Could someone please help me out? Anyone know what the issue might be?