[SOLVED] New PC. Uncertain about memory, case, and fans .

Aug 21, 2019
I am planning to build a new PC and which is going to be the first time. I would be grateful if someone looked at the list and gave me a few critics.

I selected Asus PRIME Z390-A which has good reviews with CPU Intel 9700K. I checked components compatibilities: CPU, M2 (M) supported by the motherboard, dimmensions of M2 and the video card, no. of SATA ports etc. The things I am not certain about is memory and case itself. I don't know if I should pay more for faster memory and reduce to 16GB as well as how to select a good case for me. As a side note, I would also like to think of a case that can be supplied with custom quiet fans. Long time ago I read about solutions to reduce dust getting inside the case.

Also, I am thinking of supplying a new comp with my old components, such as HDDs (2TB Seagate Barracude, Western Digital Black 4TB and Samsung SSD Evo 500MB) and SCSI PCIe card which I use with an audio interface. I might think of getting rid of Seagate but I'd like to keep at least the 4TB HDD and the 500MB SSD.

I would be grateful for any comments. THanks

The full list:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/franekw/saved/L479GX

Some components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £172.54
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage:
. Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
* Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
* Samsung 860 Evo 500 MB 2.5" Solid State Drive
* Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX2080S-O8G-GAMING
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case £134.18 FREE £134.18
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans
PCIe card: * Startech.com PEX1394B3 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter, 1394 FW PCIe FireWire 800/400 Card

(*) components I have already bought

Solution
9700k produces a lot of heat, especially if you are overclocking. I would consider a better cooler than a Hyper 212.
I would consider a BeQuiet Dark Rock 4. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FRYLrH/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-bk021

Also, what is this build for?
32GB of ram is not needed for gaming.
The 850w PSU can be downgraded a bit with no issues allowing you to spend elsewhere.

Ryzen 3rd gen may be a better alternative if you do other tasks than just gaming.
RAM speeds for Intel CPUs dont really scale that well. I would stick with the 3200mhz speed RAM. As for the case and fans, typically the better cases come with better fans. It is really just a personal preference, but I tend to prefer Phanteks, Fractal Design, NZXT, and Corsair all make good cases.

For fans, I like the Corsiar ML fans. They are pretty quiet and perform well. But I would not buy any additional fans till your rig is built and see the noise level and cooling performance. There is no need in spending more money than you have too.

Speaking of money, what is this build for? There are some areas where you can save some money and wont sacrifice performance. Specifically, gaming performance. The 3000 series Ryzen CPUs are very good and are cheaper than Intel. Right now it is very difficult to recommend an Intel CPU. Also, no game uses 32gb of RAM. Any unused RAM will just sit idle doing nothing. So unless you are performing workstation task that are memory dependent, then I would go with a 16gb kit and you can always upgrade down the road if you need too.

9700k produces a lot of heat, especially if you are overclocking. I would consider a better cooler than a Hyper 212.
I would consider a BeQuiet Dark Rock 4. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/FRYLrH/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-bk021

Also, what is this build for?
32GB of ram is not needed for gaming.
The 850w PSU can be downgraded a bit with no issues allowing you to spend elsewhere.

Ryzen 3rd gen may be a better alternative if you do other tasks than just gaming.

Solution
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks for the link. I like the both beQuiet Dark Rock 4 and Noctua DH15, although a color of Noctua is odd :) The case I selected is 234 mm wide and it should have enough space for either cooler.

I considered AMD like this one: AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X, which is cheaper than Intel but again I am not a technical person and I thought Intel, although more expensive, would more reliable for work :)

Still not sure about RAM and it is fair enough point that 32GB is a lot and it is about extra £100. Frankly, the build is for gaming but I also plan to use it to work with larger data when I have to work from home. I am not saying this is my working "tool" but sometimes I need to work from home and need something decent. I consider high-end GPU to use Cuda and speed up some calculations or use frameworks which utilize Cuda, etc.

The 9700k is better than the 3700x and there is some issues with 3rd gen right now so the 9700k is likely the more stable option.

The 3700x, however, comes with a cooler and has 16 threads. Combined with the new 7nm node, the 3700x is more efficient than the 9700k and the 3700x greatly outperforms the 9700k in many workloads such as adobe software or code compiling.