[SOLVED] new PC underperforming on UserBenchmark and advice on how to improve?

Dec 6, 2020
Hi! So i've recently built a new PC (all the parts are brand new except for my storage), for gaming and some work (3D rendering). i did research on my parts & what to get for my needs, but i'm not too sure how to best configure (if that's the right word for it) the components so i get maximum efficiency out of them. i've already switched on the XMP profile in the BIOS, but the RAM is still performing below potential, as well as my GPU (it's the Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC- i didn't do anymore OCing apart from the factory OC). how can i improve my performance? i've also attached a picture of the log from OpenHardwareMonitor while i ran UserBenchmark, and nothing else was running in the background. i also live in a warmer climate, so the ambient temperature is around 30-ish degrees Celsius. should i also add more fans to my case (Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh)? thank you!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36447977

UserBenchmarks: Game 114%, Desk 91%, Work 114%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 88.8%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 - 126.9%
SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB - 117.3%
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - 58.8%
RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 2x16GB - 86.1%
MBD: MSI B550-A PRO (MS-7C56)

View: https://imgur.com/a/0vmHfJF

Solution
Stop any programs that are running in the background.
It shows 16% background CPU usage.
Then run that test again.

You could also enable PBO in the BIOS to see if that improve the CPU performance.
And you could OC the GPU with Afterburner (but then close afterburner Before taking the test, it doesn't play well with this test).

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador

You could also enable PBO in the BIOS to see if that improve the CPU performance.
And you could OC the GPU with Afterburner (but then close afterburner Before taking the test, it doesn't play well with this test).

Solution
Dec 6, 2020

ahh, i noticed the 16% background CPU usage too. i'll try that! i think the CPU seems to be all right though, but i was just wondering why the GPU and RAM is performing below expectations. is it because everyone else is OCing their GPUs? I'm not sure what else i could do to help my RAM though...

Reactions: kurdtnz

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
ahh, i noticed the 16% background CPU usage too. i'll try that! i think the CPU seems to be all right though, but i was just wondering why the GPU and RAM is performing below expectations. is it because everyone else is OCing their GPUs? I'm not sure what else i could do to help my RAM though...
That is one of the problems with that test, it compares your stock components with Overclocked Components.
And those background programs could be using your CPU and GPU and RAM affecting all of those tests.

This is my 3700x (PBO Enabled)/ 2060 Super (OC'd) rigs results:
Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020
That is one of the problems with that test, it compares your stock components with Overclocked Components.
And those background programs could be using your CPU and GPU and RAM affecting all of those tests.

This is my 3700x (PBO Enabled)/ 2060 Super (OC'd) rigs results:
Asus ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark
oooh i see!! thank you for the advice, i'll definitely give it a go and check again with other benchmark tests like cinebench and 3dmark! hopefully i see better numbers! may i also know what your temperatures are- and if you're using a liquid cooler/what kinds of fans you have?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
oooh i see!! thank you for the advice, i'll definitely give it a go and check again with other benchmark tests like cinebench and 3dmark! hopefully i see better numbers! may i also know what your temperatures are- and if you're using a liquid cooler/what kinds of fans you have?
My CPU idles around 32-34C (room temp is around 21-22c).
I have a Scythe Ninja 5 (with dual fans) air cooler.
When I play games my CPU usually maxes out around 60-65C and when I run Cinebench R23 it gets up to around 72-74C.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020
My CPU idles around 32-34C (room temp is around 21-22c).
I have a Scythe Ninja 5 (with dual fans) air cooler.
When I play games my CPU usually maxes out around 60-65C and when I run Cinebench R23 it gets up to around 72-74C.
i see! i just added a rear exhaust fan today (on top of the 3 stock intake) and the temperatures on my CPU are already looking a lot better. thank you so much for your replies and advice! :)

Reactions: DMAN999
D

Deleted member 14196

I don’t see anything wrong with your system it looks like it’s performing just fine. I think you are just paranoid About numbers that don’t even matter