New PC underperforming

Sep 20, 2018
So I just built a Pc for the first time,with some old parts I had and some from a friend. I had some problems booting it first got Bsod everytime.
Managed to fix that somehow with a Windows 10 install from USB. These are my specs btw Geforce GT 630 AMD Fx(tm)8350 Eight core processor 16GB DDR3 RAM Powerman(?)350W kinda old PSU The first game I tried was Fortnite, running everything on lowest settings I get around 30 to 50 fps sometimes 60. I feel like I should be getting way more fps, I have friends with worse pcs getting higher than me, so I don't really understand. Could it be because of the PSU? or something else?

Solution
That board has a 970 chip. Not too good for crazy overclocks. But you can modestly OC it (4.3 tops?) All depends on the chip "lottery". The 990 chip provides better voltage for the 8350. But your board isn't too bad.

I used to have the Asus Pro Gaming 970 for my 4350 and 8350. It worked very good with the 4350, but the 8350 was another story. Too much heat prevented me from OC higher than 4.7 on liquid cooling. And I didn't go back to the 4350 as it was bottlenecking my system.

Do you have an SSD? If not, get one. Also, take advantage of that m.2 slot. Crazy speeds... But look into PSU upgrade and a GPU.

What motherboard do you have? (COMPLETE system specs would also be helpful!) Your old PSU probably isn't helping, but I suspect that your MB VRMs can't handle the power requirements of your FX processor, and it is self throttling.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
GPU Upgrade AND upgrade the Power Supply. I see you are using an 8350 and those suckers draw a lot of power. If you get a new GFX Card, you'll definitely need more power from your Power Supply, or else your computer will shut down during peak usage as there won't be enough power for all the components. 600w or more should be good for that setup.

I've used and OC AMD FX chips like crazy. They aren't that bad to be honest. The 8350 that I had was OC to 4.6 GHZ and was primarily used for video/audio encoding, rendering and digital streamer. With those 8 cores it worked very well and I was able to stream, direct play or transcode any video to my Roku 4k with no issues. With gaming though..... With Ryzen out now, you'll eventually hit that bottleneck. But a good GFX Card will extend it's usability for a few.

I won't recommend OC as I do not know your level of experience and it takes a LOT of work, testing, adjusting, etc. Not easy and you can damage your system if you don't know much about it. Good luck!

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
That board has a 970 chip. Not too good for crazy overclocks. But you can modestly OC it (4.3 tops?) All depends on the chip "lottery". The 990 chip provides better voltage for the 8350. But your board isn't too bad.

I used to have the Asus Pro Gaming 970 for my 4350 and 8350. It worked very good with the 4350, but the 8350 was another story. Too much heat prevented me from OC higher than 4.7 on liquid cooling. And I didn't go back to the 4350 as it was bottlenecking my system.

Do you have an SSD? If not, get one. Also, take advantage of that m.2 slot. Crazy speeds... But look into PSU upgrade and a GPU.

Solution