[SOLVED] New pc upgrade kit. should i get a new PSU?

Johnkeys

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
hello so three out of four ram slots died on my old h97 anniversary edition. Was about time i got an upgrade though, my last setup which this sites members
helped me make, lasted 7 years without a hitch! tyvm people :D

Bought a AMD upgrade kit as Follows:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor
Socket-AM4, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 3.7/4.6GHz, 65W, 7nm, inkl. køler,
Item number: 1172140 / Producer item number:: 100-100000065BOX

Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 16GB 3200 MHz
2x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, 288-pin DIMM, CL18,
Item number: 1191742 / Producer item number:: KF432C18BBAK2/16-KO

TUF GAMING B550-PRO Motherboard
AM4, ATX, B550, DDR4, M.2, PCIe 4.0,
Item number: 1177056 / Producer item number:: TUF GAMING B550-PRO

+ another set of the same RAM for 32gb.

My GFX will be Nvidia Gforce 970 gtx until i find something new

Will a PSU:
Antec Basiq VP-450P Power Supply Unit

Be enough to support my new upgrades? or will i have to upgrade that too? If so, would you assist me in finding something that might be solid for additional future upgrades.

Kind regards

-John

Solution
hello so three out of four ram slots died on my old h97 anniversary edition. Was about time i got an upgrade though, my last setup which this sites members

+...

+ another set of the same RAM for 32gb.

My GFX will be Nvidia Gforce 970 gtx until i find something new

Will a PSU:
Antec Basiq VP-450P Power Supply Unit

Be enough to support my new upgrades? or will i have to upgrade that too? If so, would you assist me in finding something that might be solid for additional future upgrades.

Kind regards

-John
No. That PSU is more for a home office pc, not for a gaming machine. It's made with low quality parts and not very dependable. I found a great deal on a good quality unit that will last you a while and give plenty of room for a GPU upgrade later on. Corsair TXM750 Gold is £59.99 at the time of this posting.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020131-na

Reactions: Johnkeys and RodroX
Solution

Johnkeys

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
No. That PSU is more for a home office pc, not for a gaming machine. It's made with low quality parts and not very dependable. I found a great deal on a good quality unit that will last you a while and give plenty of room for a GPU upgrade later on. Corsair TXM750 Gold is £59.99 at the time of this posting.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020131-na

Thanks bro i'll see if i can find that PSU in an EU shop, you <Mod Edit> left EU, unsure if i can buy it VAT free :D
For now, will my current PSU be able to power it?
Joints starting hurting today, feels like a flu on the way, corona test tomorrow...
But preferably i'll avoid the public and order a PSU and wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnkeys

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
I wouldn't have used that PSU with the old build. Certainly not the new one.

The good lads here helped me build a PC 7 years ago, and in the end we didn't need much power for the parts, so this PSU was fine as i recall.
And i've had almost no trouble with my setup those years. 1 year ago a RAM died, and i bought a new set...
This following part, not sure if it's related, but i wouldn't be surprised if it were. Windows update --> shut off --> bed. Morning after 3/4 ram slots were not working.

Windows wants to sabotage my hardware so i'll upgrade and be able to get windows11 kek...

Last edited:

Johnkeys

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
If that Antec is 7 yrs old, I wouldn't try :)

Mixing 2 kits of RAM, even same model, is a risk. 4 stick kit would be much safer approach. Or 2 16 gb sticks.

I did not know that. And i'm kinda struggling to find evidence that supports what you are saying, i was under the understanding that they just have to be same manufacturer, of the same size, and of the same frequency.... And that you even can mix brands and sizes of RAM (not optimal for performence) but still none the less, possible.

Could you redirect me to your source? because if what you say is true, i'll have to return 16gb ram

I did not know that. And i'm kinda struggling to find evidence that supports what you are saying, i was under the understanding that they just have to be same manufacturer, of the same size, and of the same frequency.... And that you even can mix brands and sizes of RAM (not optimal for performence) but still none the less, possible.

Could you redirect me to your source? because if what you say is true, i'll have to return 16gb ram
It's not a hard rule. It MAY work, and pairing same models gives you a good chance. But sometimes it does not work. We have tons of examples here on forum. It's more of a warning for you to not get surprised if it does not work. There is no harm trying all 4 sticks - just be prepared for plan B.

Reactions: Johnkeys

Johnkeys

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
It's not a hard rule. It MAY work, and pairing same models gives you a good chance. But sometimes it does not work. We have tons of examples here on forum. It's more of a warning for you to not get surprised if it does not work. There is no harm trying all 4 sticks - just be prepared for plan B.

Aha i see, ait. Well <Mod Edit Language>, at least the warranty should cover if something happens i guess, and i have this rig to fall back on if need be. And i suppose i could put in a 8gb ram stick in the one slot that works atm If need be.. Thanks for the heads up bro. Thanks all for, your once again kind service.

Kind regards

-Johnkeys

Last edited by a moderator: