New PC uses intel instead of nvidia graphics

lightriphy

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hello! I have just acquired a new desktop PC system which came with Ubuntu pre-installed, but after a few days I switched to Windows 10 Pro, came with DVD drivers and all the good stuff. The problem is, my GPU's (Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB) control panel isn't working and gives an error in the lines of: "There is no display attached to this GPU.", and most fixes for this problem require me to actually access the control panel and switch, and it doesn't work with Device Manager as well, because they had only the Nvidia Display Driver installed but I had 4 separate container or network drivers. My display right now works only because of the processor (Intel i5-7400) on its Intel HD Graphics cappabilities. I installed the motherboard drivers and then the GPU drivers and applications, and even though everything is up-to-date, including GeForce Experience and its own drivers, the two still won't switch when needed, as I first heard it's an automatic switch when there's more consuming task going. Should I uninstall my CPU and GPU drivers and then install the GPU ones first? On Ubuntu I could easily switch between them.

Solution
You may have already done this, but make sure your display cable (dvi, hdmi, etc cable) is plugged into the graphics card port, not in the mobo I/o port. Using the mobo I/o port would force the monitor to use integrated graphics.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
You may have already done this, but make sure your display cable (dvi, hdmi, etc cable) is plugged into the graphics card port, not in the mobo I/o port. Using the mobo I/o port would force the monitor to use integrated graphics.

Solution

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Switching between integrated graphics on the CPU & a dedicated GPU only happens on laptops, because the single display (built-in screen) is directly attached to both GPUs. On a desktop, there are separate physical connectors for the discrete GPU & the integrated graphics, so the only way to do any switching is to physically move the monitor cable from 1 port to another.

Now, the primary issue that I'm seeing here is that the GTX 1060 does not support SLI...so having two of those cards in your system doesn't do anything for you (unless this is a cryptomining rig...in which case you would have little to no benefit switching to Windows). So pull out 1 of the GTX 1060s & test again.

First, try testing each of them in a different PC (borrow a friend's, etc.). If neither of them work in another PC, they're most likely broken, & hopefully they're still under warranty so that you can RMA them.

If they work in another PC, then you'll have to do additional testing on it. You may want to try reinstalling Windows from scratch, & downloading the drivers directly from nVidia.

lightriphy

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
As silly as it sounds, I actually have not checked if the cable is plugged in correctly, seemingly that might be an issue as well. I'll check both your answers after I get back home from work. For now, thank you for your time!

lightriphy

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Well, it turns out that I didn't realize there were some caps protecting the ports for the graphics card, as I first set up my PC in the dark. Now I took a better look and the first comment was indeed correct, it was my fault, after all :D. Problem is I need a VGA to DVI adapter or something, but that's something on my end to solve. Thank you guys!