Question New PC - Vibration sounds

Adrianos

Prominent
Oct 4, 2022
Hello! Just bought a new pc, everything good, but I can hear a strange vibration noise when the gpu fans are at 72-77%, it drives me crazy, please help me. Should I be worried? Is it normal?

Specs:
I5 12400f - stock cooler
MSI b660-A Pro
32 gb kingston fury beast 3200
Gigabyte 3070 gaming oc
Seasonic GX 750
Corsair 4000d airflow
SSD samsung 870 1TB
M2 NVMe samsung 980 500GB

I managed to “catch” the sound, if you are reading from you mobile phone, it might be needed to place the ear close to the speaker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpjkmrcsp77d1vh/IMG_4737.MOV?dl=0

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're advised to have a higher wattage PSU for a build with an RTX3070, due to transient power spikes by aforementioned GPU. As for your audio, might want to add a video for greater context but the fact that you need a higher wattage PSU is the higher priority.

It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about to me. Are you sure it's the GPU though, it could simply be the higher fan speeds of the CPU and GPU under load are causing other parts of the computer to vibrate. Try removing the dust filters and see if it's exactly the same. I had an issue with my machine where under certain conditions it would cause a vibration sound, if you pressed on the side of the case it would stop. However it was actually the dust filter at the bottom vibrating.

Adrianos

Prominent
Oct 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're advised to have a higher wattage PSU for a build with an RTX3070, due to transient power spikes by aforementioned GPU. As for your audio, might want to add a video for greater context but the fact that you need a higher wattage PSU is the higher priority.

Thank you, I’m glad to be part of the community. Everyone said that the psu is more than enough. Even on site manufacturer it says minimum 650W. Have you been able to hear the vibration sound? Do you think is related to PSU? I will try to add another video, it’s hard to catch the vibration sound, I can only hear it if i’m sitting on the office chair. If i get closer to the case it’s almost gone, pretty strange.

Lutfij

Titan
Roll a sheet of A4 paper, hold one end to your ear and use the other end to probe for the sound. From the way you've put it, you're confused yourself as to the source of the noise. You sure you're not confusing the hum of a chassis fan with another component in your build?

Adrianos

Prominent
Oct 4, 2022
Roll a sheet of A4 paper, hold one end to your ear and use the other end to probe for the sound. From the way you've put it, you're confused yourself as to the source of the noise. You sure you're not confusing the hum of a chassis fan with another component in your build?
I will try that, thank you very much for the help and fast responses. Yes, indeed, i’m super confused. I’ve come to this conclusion (ofc, maybe i’m wrong) because the vibration noise it happenes only when the gpu fans speed are reaching this range (72-78%). For the chassis fans, I have the 2 stock ones that come with the corsair 4000d airflow and from what i’ve seen they are very low RPM. I have also placed the ear next to them, nothing.

Adrianos

Prominent
Oct 4, 2022
It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about to me. Are you sure it's the GPU though, it could simply be the higher fan speeds of the CPU and GPU under load are causing other parts of the computer to vibrate. Try removing the dust filters and see if it's exactly the same. I had an issue with my machine where under certain conditions it would cause a vibration sound, if you pressed on the side of the case it would stop. However it was actually the dust filter at the bottom vibrating.
Thank you very much for your response.
Thank you for trying to help me. I’ve come to this conclusion because the vibration noise it happenes only when the gpu fans speed are reaching this range (72-78%). Of course I might be wrong. I will remove the dust filters. Sadly, if i press on the sides, the vibration noise does not stop. Appreciate it!

Thank you very much for your response.

Thank you for trying to help me. I’ve come to this conclusion because the vibration noise it happenes only when the gpu fans speed are reaching this range (72-78%). Of course I might be wrong. I will remove the dust filters. Sadly, if i press on the sides, the vibration noise does not stop. Appreciate it!
When the noise happens start putting your finger on stuff.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find the source.

Adrianos

Prominent
Oct 4, 2022
I opened the case, tried with the paper, get out the buttom dust filter, still not managed to figured out. One thing i notice, the stock case cooler from behind was vibrating a bit when i placed my ear next to him, but the sound was different because i was close. I will change the stock coolers in the near future and add more on the case, we will see after.

My only thought, as this happens at 72-78% is if you have more than one vibration but there is a harmonic between them when you hit that range on the gpu. It could be this is coming from 2 different fans. Depending on the case some bundled fans are fairly poor so would not be surprised if it had an unbalanced fan blade.

Adrianos

Prominent
Oct 4, 2022
My only thought, as this happens at 72-78% is if you have more than one vibration but there is a harmonic between them when you hit that range on the gpu. It could be this is coming from 2 different fans. Depending on the case some bundled fans are fairly poor so would not be surprised if it had an unbalanced fan blade.
That’s a very smart answer and I think you are right. At least i’m at peace now, nothing is wrong with the gpu and the (gpu) fans are not as bad as i thought. It’s so hard to identify this kind of sounds, let’s hope i will get rid of it when i will replace the case vents with something better. I think i will also replace the stock cpu fan because that’s noisy.