New PC; W7 home premium installed; Win 7 Pro disc/key sent

ossuss

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
First forum post, but use site a lot - cannot find an answer to this query though.

Just bought a new PC, and after BSOD straight out the box, repairs, re formatting and re delivery I thought everything was rosy. That was until last night when Windows asked me to activate the Home Premium edition that's been installed. This only popped up after 2 solid days of updates and installing all of my music software.

I entered the activation key on the packaging sent, which was rejected and only then did I realise what was sent is a W7 pro disc and key, and the packaging is unopened. Obviously got straight onto the clowns who sold me the unit, to be advised that I should do the any time upgrade to pro and all would be fine, but I am concerned that the version installed is not activated and I may risk losing data/installed programs and have to re format then start the install from scratch.

So the question is can I perform the anytime upgrade, using the activation key I have on the Pro packaging from the un activated copy of W7 premium on the system?

Any help would be much appreciated; I was quoted 2 days delivery on this PC, which turned up late then had the issues which needed repairing. 2 1/2 weeks down the line I have lost too much money and time to face sending it back for a refund and finding another supplier - which I am very close to doing.

ossuss

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Thanks for the response; I am struggling to find any information on this on the web - most of the hits are around other updates (to W10 etc) so finding it very difficult to confirm.

Very wary about trying it and locking something up or worse losing data/installations.