New PC will not start

Jul 15, 2018
New PC won't start.

It's my first time building a pc, and after I plugged in everything properly (checked at least twice everything) the power source, cpu and gpu fans start but only for 1 second.

PC configuration
MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
MSI X370 Gaming Plus
8GB RAM Kingston 2400 Mhz single channel
The power source is from an old pc of mine, njoy 600W

Video with issue
https://youtu.be/61Co3JRHy-8

I have tested the GPU and it works on a different build.

Do you have any idea what can be the problem? At first when I tested the build all the fans were working but nothing was displayed on my monitor. I tried to change the RAM on all the slots and after I tried this a couple of times, the fans were no longer starting, like in the video.

Any advice?

alliboneben

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Have you tried other basic troubleshooting methods, e.g. placing your ram into a different dim slot, seeing if the system works with a different psu?
If you have a different system nearby to swap parts in and out of to test whether they are faulty this may help

alliboneben

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
If you can somehow get hold of a different psu that may help a lot, probably a stupid suggestion cause most people don’t have a spare psu laying around, but if you have a friend that has one you could ask them

ccfonzie

Honorable
Jan 21, 2018
Same “exact” thing happened with my last build 5 months ago. I had to RMA the board back to the manufacturer. You can double check by taking the motherboard out of the case and testing components. 1st by checking if the CPU fan is working correctly. I'll bet my money it's the board.

alliboneben

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Is ‘njoy’ the brand of you psu, if it is it would make me feel more sure that it is a faulty psu, cause you want to make sure you have a reliable psu, cause if you don’t, it may send too much/not enough power to components, possibly frying them, so if it is a psu issue, I reccomend getting at least a silver rated psu

Jul 15, 2018
The thing is, that I tested the psu with a different motherboard and it works, so I don't think the psu is the problem. I was very careful with the cpu and I think it is ok. Most probably it's the motherboard, maybe it has some safety barrier that somehow needs to be reset. I don't know. I will get the pc to a service and see what's the problem

Jul 15, 2018
Yes, I have tried to take out the cmos battery, still the same. I didn't test the RAM on a different build, but I tried a dual channel RAM that works on a different pc, and on my pc they don't work

Jul 15, 2018
This is the answer that MSI gave me..

"Regarding your concern, the factory BIOS version of your MB is v5.4. But this MB can support Ryzen 5 2600X CPU since BIOS v5.B. You need to install a lower level processor (Summit Ridge processors) to boot up the MB and flash the BIOS. If you don't have one or cannot borrow one from others, we suggest you contact the reseller(the place you bought the motherboard from) for them help check further. Thanks!

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!"

So it seems that my processor might be the fault..