[SOLVED] New Pc Windows 10 Installation Freezes On Blue Logo Screen.

Oct 24, 2018
PC Specs:
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX550M 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE
G.SKILL Flare X 16GB
AMD RYZEN 3 1300X 4-Core 3.5 GHz
2 TB Toshiba HDD

So Ive build this PC and Ive been trying everything to get it to behave but it always freezes on the first blue logo and i cant install windows. Ive tried everything i can think of to fix it Ive tried testing the hardware for incompatibilitys and errors but everything works perfectly, Ive tried bread boarding it to no luck, Ive tried installing Linux and having no change, and now in going through the bios settings trying to figure this out and see if there's an answer in there. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Solution
I may have missed it, but I don't see where you've tried doing a hard reset of the bios so I'd probably try that FIRST, WITH the installer media attached to the system so the system sees the installation media device when it reconfigures the hardware tables.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST...

Colif

Win 11 Master
if linux/windows won't install its likely a hardware problem

have you got latest bios for motherboard?

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Oct 24, 2018

Ok so one of the sticks came up with errors in the 3rd test so Im going to get it replaced.

Oct 24, 2018

So the new replacement memory came today and i ran it through memtest to check them. One of the sticks was bad but the other was good and didn't have any errors so i went to try and install windows 10 with just the good stick, and nothing changed the installer stopped at the same point it always had.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You got new memory and 1 stick was bad? did it fail on same test? That doesn't sound normal

It might be a bad motherboard or CPU itself if you can't install windows or linux on it. Instead of haphazardly replacing parts, I would get a repair store to look at gear as they have spare parts they know work, and we need to reduce the parts in system down to known working parts.

Do you have latest bios for motherboard?

Oct 24, 2018

So actually with the previous memory they both tested bad after some more testing i did, and my bios is on the latest version. I have been considering taking it to some where but id rather not. Also should I send the memory back again since one stick says its has errors.

Oct 24, 2018

So Ive ran the test a few times but after i go to check the results the screen is just black and the computer wont respond. Ive done various time tests but i get the same result like overnight, 3 hours, and one hour but it all ends up the same.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
In the bios maybe look at this and set it to enabled,

Windows 10 WHQL Support [Disabled]
Enables the supports for Windows 10 or disables for other operating systems.
Before enabling this item, make sure all installed devices & utilities (hardware &
software) should meet the Windows 10 requirements.
[Enabled] The system will switch to UEFI mode to meet the Windows
requirement.
[Disabled] Disables this function.
you can find this under the advanced tab then,

Windows OS Configuration
Sets Windows detailed configuration and behaviors. Press Enter to enter the submenu
if i read this right. ;)

Try a different usb port as well,i would look first at the usb 2.0 ports.

Oct 24, 2018

Ive been using the media creation tool for 1809 windows 10 from Microsoft's site to make an iso and used rusfus to make a bootable drive. I didn't use the direct usb install because i always get the error 0x80042401-0xA001A

Oct 24, 2018

I Checked the pins on the cpu and motherboard and none of them were bent.

Oct 24, 2018

Yeah i had bought another flash drive and it tried it on there.

Oct 24, 2018

I did this but more often then not what would happen is that it would show the logo and two dots then a blue screen would flash quickly and the computer would reset. The ez debug CPU light would come on too, but it wasn't consistent sometimes it would do this others it would do what i had previously.

Try a different SATA cable AND a different SATA power cable from the PSU.

I'd also download either Seatools for DOS or Western digital lifeguard tools for DOS, and create bootable test media, then test the drive. It might just be a bad drive if the system doesn't have any problem in a non-OS environment. Did you try "installing" Linux, or did you run a bootable Linux USB or optical disk created on a different system? Ubuntu can be created on USB or DVD and run directly from the optical or USB drive. Do you have the same problem when trying that or is it only if you install the OS to the drive?

Oct 24, 2018

So in most of my testing i haven't had my drive in because i figured i could just put it back in after i get the installer to work correctly. But i have tried different sata data and power cables before. The major problem is with windows or linux i cant even get to the point where i can select to what drive to install on.

Oct 24, 2018

So I tore down the entire build and put it back together from the instructions and still nothing changed.

I may have missed it, but I don't see where you've tried doing a hard reset of the bios so I'd probably try that FIRST, WITH the installer media attached to the system so the system sees the installation media device when it reconfigures the hardware tables.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Have you looked at, and tried, all of these suggestions?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/installer-stuck-at-windows-10-blue-logo/924e5f4f-1b35-4e45-a173-a4fcc0d9b017

or

"-Try disabling IOMMU in BIOS if fresh installing Windows from USB stick and it freezes/hangs on boot. Hopefully this saves some headaches for some people. My BIOS version (1.30) had it set to AUTO and caused issues for me until it set it to DISABLE."

or

Try NOT using Rufus. I've NEVER had to use Rufus to make a bootable Windows 10 USB installer with the media creation tool if you choose the correct options during the creation tool process and I've NEVER had it not install except in two cases where, on one, the motherboard had a storage controller problem and the other system that was brought to me with this problem had a faulty CPU.

Solution
sounds to me like his install media is the issue. live usb's often have issues, especially slower drives with things like pagefile setup and so on... so yeah scrap that idea...

put your ssd/hdd back in... download the windows installer. and install windows to your system drive.
1s done you can run a dual boot with linux which you can install after windows... (just dont put it on the same partition) or run a vm and run linux inside windows...

and do it from an optimized default setup in bios/eufi as darkbreeze points out.