[SOLVED] New PC [Windows 10] randomly green screens and restarts

Oct 16, 2019
I just finished building a new PC, and am getting a very strange green screen followed by a crash at seemingly random times. Essentially what will happen is the screen will go completely green for about 3 seconds, and after that the PC will automatically restart, with very slight static coming through the headphones. The crash will happen in seemingly random time intervals, but is much more frequent while playing video games than when browsing the web or using another program. It usually happens 20-30 minutes into a gaming session, but there have been times where I've been able to go 2 hours or more without it occurring.
Here are the components to the PC
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600, Wraith Prism heatsink
  • GPU: Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
  • PSU: Corsair RM750 Gold
  • Storage: Pny XLR8 500GB M.2 Nvme SSD
I have the most recent version of BIOS, as well as fully updated drivers and the most recent version of Windows 10. cpu usage, gpu usage, and ram usage are all low, and temperatures are good. Ran Memtest86+ to check the ram and no errors came up, ran ddu to restore gpu drivers. I'm really lost on what the issue could be, so please let me know if you have any ideas.

Solution
I am leaning on that it's the GPU.
Green screens are common with GPU failures.
I recently had an RTX 2080 Ti green screen on me.
Also....
" The crash will happen in seemingly random time intervals, but is much more frequent while playing video games "
This also tends to make me lean on the GPU.
Also....
" The crash will happen in seemingly random time intervals, but is much more frequent while playing video games "

Solution
Oct 16, 2019
Also....

I was thinking the GPU was a likely culprit too. I ran DDU and reinstalled drivers on the GPU. At this point is it just a hardware issue and I should just exchange it for a new one?

TRENDING THREADS