New PC Windows Vista 64 w/ Geforce 8800 GTX runs horrid

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Greetings gentlemen and thank you for your time. I am in most dire need of support. After much turmoil I finally got my new computer booted. I had a motherboard/PSU conflict and have since finally fixed it by replacing my MSI P965 Platinum with an Nvidia Nforce680i SLI.

My current set up:

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo at stock 2.4 Ghz 4MB Cache
2 Gigs Patriot DDR2800 PC 6400
Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI Mobo
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX
Big Typhoon CPU Fan
Sata 500 Gig Hard drive
1 17 dollar dvd reader :D
WINDOWS VISTA 64 Bit Home Premium Edition

Now I installed Vista and proceeded to download all the updates. The stock Mobo drivers that came with my Nvidia 680i mobo wouldn't take because they were 32 bit, so I used Windows Update to update the motherboard drivers. I then proceeded to install Nvidia 8800 GTX drivers from the CD that came from PNY. Then I installed the newest 158.18 Drivers for Vista 64 bit Edition from Nvidia's webpage.

I ran company of heroes with all effects maxed out with no AA at 1024x768, expecting amazing results. I got approximately an average of 15 FPS. Thinking this odd I checked steam to see if HL2 and CSS had finished downloading. I tried to play either game but the menu screens would instantly crash once booted and I had to console to exit the game. Then I finally got 3D Mark 06 to work after redownloading it. I got about 3000 marks... and comparable to my old AMD64 3800+ 2x6800GTs SLI, that is just horrid. My heart caves in as 3D Mark compares my score to other systems with the same hardware. I'm about 12,000 points away from what the average user reports for the exact same system specs.

Guys what the hell is going on!

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Greetings gentlemen and thank you for your time. I am in most dire need of support. After much turmoil I finally got my new computer booted. I had a motherboard/PSU conflict and have since finally fixed it by replacing my MSI P965 Platinum with an Nvidia Nforce680i SLI.

My current set up:

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo at stock 2.4 Ghz 4MB Cache
2 Gigs Patriot DDR2800 PC 6400
Nvidia Nforce 680i SLI Mobo
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX
Big Typhoon CPU Fan
Sata 500 Gig Hard drive
1 17 dollar dvd reader :D
WINDOWS VISTA 64 Bit Home Premium Edition

Now I installed Vista and proceeded to download all the updates. The stock Mobo drivers that came with my Nvidia 680i mobo wouldn't take because they were 32 bit, so I used Windows Update to update the motherboard drivers. I then proceeded to install Nvidia 8800 GTX drivers from the CD that came from PNY. Then I installed the newest 158.18 Drivers for Vista 64 bit Edition from Nvidia's webpage.

I ran company of heroes with all effects maxed out with no AA at 1024x768, expecting amazing results. I got approximately an average of 15 FPS. Thinking this odd I checked steam to see if HL2 and CSS had finished downloading. I tried to play either game but the menu screens would instantly crash once booted and I had to console to exit the game. Then I finally got 3D Mark 06 to work after redownloading it. I got about 3000 marks... and comparable to my old AMD64 3800+ 2x6800GTs SLI, that is just horrid. My heart caves in as 3D Mark compares my score to other systems with the same hardware. I'm about 12,000 points away from what the average user reports for the exact same system specs.

Guys what the hell is going on!

Sounds like user error to me. All the guys over at nvnews are raving about the latest Vista drivers for the 8800GTX and the benchies even show that they are finally on par performance wise with win XP.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
What kind of user error? I'm getting no indication that anything is wrong with the system. The vista preformance index clocks everything in the high 5.7s. Anyway its not like I could have half installed a 3D card, it obviously works just runs horrid. I haven't even attempted an over clock yet. Everything is stock.

weilin

Distinguished
A System is only as fast as its weakest link. So if i were you, i'd go and systemmatically update ALL drivers. First uninstall any drivers you already have (microsoft and driver authoring mix about as well as oil and water...). Check the "add/remove programs" list and get rid of what drivers you can there. Next, go to Nvidia.com and download chipset drivers for Vista 64 bit. Then go to Nvidia's website and download their vista 64 bit video driver, next go to Realtek and Get their Latest Audio driver. Do this for all hardware. Install drivers in the order of Chipset, Video, Audio then anything else... Then try playing. You should be able to max out company of heroes (beautiful game...) with a 8800gtx.

Not a half hour ago I downloaded drivers for the 8800. One was for xp-pro64 and the other was for vista 64bit.

It specifically laid out the way you need to install the vista drivers. It even told you to bookmark the page with the instructions in case you needed them for reference as you were installing the drivers. I think you may have missed something and need to un-install and re-install the right way.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_driver_x64_installation_instructions.html

158.22 are the latest drivers if I'm not mistaken. check the download site.

Also make sure you didn't mess up the drivers for the board.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
158.18 are the newest drivers. I just reformatted, installed the chipset drivers from nvidia's website, then proceeded to follow the directions (which consisted of telling microsoft's auto driver download service to piss off and just waiting for the machine to reboot). The same problem still exists.

asusman

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I just built a quad core, 4 GB, 8800 sytem with X64 ultamite and it ran without a hitch.

Not using the update drivers is right, use Nvidia's.

I don't see what psu you have listed? Do you have all the extra power cords plugged into the card? The GTX requires 2.

Is it at least a $100 psu?

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
The fact that you let the Windows update find your Motherboard drivers catches my attention, I think it could be using Generic drivers that will be slowing you down.

Go to the Motherboard Manufacturers website and download all the latest drivers for your board and see how that goes.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
WOOT I fixed it!

When I took my computer to the shop for the original motherboard/power supply conflict I had them put in the new motherboard that was compatable with my Enermax Infiniti 720W power supply (that was the more expensive of the parts). Turns out that p965 from MSI is incompatible with Enermax power supplies. The only way to find that out was to test the board on numerous power supplies, which I didn't have access too, so I had to cave in and let them do it. They told me they could sell me an Nvidia 680i, the board I originally didn't buy because it was a tad pricey. Anyway their price was insane and I could only get the warranty if they did the install. I wasn't 100% convinced that a new motherboard would fix all my problems so I went ahead and paid the fee to have them install the motherboard, so that in the event that it still didn't boot I wouldn't be stuck with it.

Turns out those idiots at the computer store failed to plug in one of the two PCI power connectors that go to the 8800GTX. They even plugged them both into the card but somehow forgot to attach one of them to the PSU, so I didn't find the mistake until taking everything out and redoing it all on the hardware side.

Thanks to everyone's help!

PS: Is it possible to hurt an 8800GTX by running it through graphics tests with only 1 of the two power connectors attached? If so I'm gonna kick their damn door down!

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
WOOT I fixed it!

When I took my computer to the shop for the original motherboard/power supply conflict I had them put in the new motherboard that was compatable with my Enermax Infiniti 720W power supply (that was the more expensive of the parts). Turns out that p965 from MSI is incompatible with Enermax power supplies. The only way to find that out was to test the board on numerous power supplies, which I didn't have access too, so I had to cave in and let them do it. They told me they could sell me an Nvidia 680i, the board I originally didn't buy because it was a tad pricey. Anyway their price was insane and I could only get the warranty if they did the install. I wasn't 100% convinced that a new motherboard would fix all my problems so I went ahead and paid the fee to have them install the motherboard, so that in the event that it still didn't boot I wouldn't be stuck with it.

Turns out those idiots at the computer store failed to plug in one of the two PCI power connectors that go to the 8800GTX. They even plugged them both into the card but somehow forgot to attach one of them to the PSU, so I didn't find the mistake until taking everything out and redoing it all on the hardware side.

Thanks to everyone's help!

PS: Is it possible to hurt an 8800GTX by running it through graphics tests with only 1 of the two power connectors attached? If so I'm gonna kick their damn door down!

There is a sucker born every minute. :lol:
I'll bet you $100 the "pros" at the computer shop left the 2nd power conector unplugged so you (the sucker) would bring it back for repair ( for a small fee).
You've been had mRWaffles, big time! 8O

BTW how much did you pay for the 680i, and what model is it?

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007

I am very very surprised at this. I say this because in my past experience if you leave one of the 6pin connectors unplugged on the 8800GTX the card itself will make a beep sound that is loud enough to wake up your next door neighbors.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Buy it for yourself! I'm telling you the Enermax and that motherboard will not work.

Yeah I know I got had, but I didn't have many options.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Modern Motherboards and PSUs are standardized; they will all work with each other. You have been taken advantage of due to your lack of knowledge, it isn't that hard to "google" something and learn.

I did the same thing accidently with my new build using a 680i mobo and 8800 GTX. Got an error message while installing the Vista 64 driver, so I shut down, plugged in the 2nd power cable, booted back up and have been running with no problems ever since.

mrwaffles

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Modern Motherboards and PSUs are standardized; they will all work with each other. You have been taken advantage of due to your lack of knowledge, it isn't that hard to "google" something and learn.

Think what you want. I tried every single Enermax drive and it did not work. Swapped out the PSU and it worked fine.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

:roll:

You mean like how DDR2 memory is standerdized? While there may be standards everyone does not follow them completely. There are always minor incompatibilities between items that occur despite the standards that are supposed ot be adhered to.

Kinda like when Core2Duo came out and there were problems between certain Asus MoBo's and OCZ RAM... just because a standard exists does not mean it will be followed to the letter.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
this might sound stupid, but its worth a look, check the resource monitor of the performance tab of Task Manager. I had terrible performance on vista 64-bit until i discovered all the crap that was deciding to access the harddrive, superfetch going crazy and a few other things loading the CPU, i disabled most of the stuff and it sorted all my issues with terrible 3dmark scores and what not, maybe youve done it already, but just thought id mention it in case

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Think? More like Know. A 24 pin ATX PSU is made to plug into a 24 pin Motherboard. There isn't much leeway in a PSU, no matter what brand you choose the same standard is used with the plugs. The 3.3v, 5v, 12v,-12v, +5vsb and ground are all on the same pins regardless of wattage or brand.
The reason your new Motherboard is working is because someone who knew what they were doing you put it together for you.

Gh0stDrag0n

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
With power supplies it is followed to the letter. 8O
You can't place the wires anywhere you feel like on the plug.
There is also the whole safety thing, you know.... like.... electrocution...fire... :roll:
If the PSU did not pass the standards it would not be allowed to be sold.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
RAM is not standardized when it comes to speed and latancy, just the form factor. They even vary as to the voltages used. PSU use the same voltage on the same sized plug with a common size (ATX) only differences is output and quality, then the little things that matter little like color and modularity.