Question New PC with RTX 3070 is stuttering in games ?

Jul 29, 2021
So i recently got my pc like 4 days ago and i have all drivers and everything up to date. My games for some reason stutter and its very quick like 1/3 of a second but its very noticable and happens offten in games like sea of thieves it happens maybe every few minutes. And something like minecraft, i dont know why stutters even more frequenlty like every 30 seconds. Im getting very high framerates in games though like sea of thieves almost 200fps on max settings and minecraft fps out the roof but still get stutters.

I have done alot like use vsync in minecraft, i still get stutters Sea of thieves also used vsync and still stutters I have a 144hz gsync monitor and even when i limit my frames to 144 fps that doesnt help either.

Disabled gsync still stutters

I have enabled xmp profile and still no help ram running at 3000mhz and ive even pushed to 3200mhz and still no help.

Disabled htep settings as some people said this might help, didnt help me and i turned it back on.

Ive also seen how my gpu runs very hot in some games like over 80c but i have been able to undervolt the gpu using msi afterburner to get it more steady like in 70ish area. But without the undervolt on stock settings for the gpu, something like sea of thieves can get to 86c

I have also updated my bios as there was a new version but still didnt help it.

Ive tried rolling back driver updates on the rtx 3070 and still no fixes. Ive tried basically everything at this point and if anyone can help id really appreciate it.

Im on windows 10 and have updated it all. Ive also already reset pc and did fresh install and still my games stutter. Ive also disabled some things like xbox game bar and alot of other things and nothing has helped get rid of this constant stutter in all games.

Cpu: intel i7 11700kf
Gpu: rtx 3070 msi 2x
Ram: brllstix 2x8gb ram ddr4 3000mhz
Psu: 800w psu
Motherboard: gigabyte z590 ud ac
Storage: 1tb m.2 ssd

Jul 29, 2021
So i recently got my pc like 4 days ago and i have all drivers and everything up to date. My games for some reason stutter and its very quick like 1/3 of a second but its very noticable and happens offten in games like sea of thieves it happens maybe every few minutes. And something like minecraft, i dont know why stutters even more frequenlty like every 30 seconds. Im getting very high framerates in games though like sea of thieves almost 200fps on max settings and minecraft fps out the roof but still get stutters.
I have done alot like use vsync in minecraft, i still get stutters
Sea of thieves also used vsync and still stutters

I have a 144hz gsync monitor and even when i limit my frames to 144 fps that doesnt help either.

Disabled gsync still stutters

I have enabled xmp profile and still no help ram running at 3000mhz and ive even pushed to 3200mhz and still no help.

Disables htep settings as some people said this might help, didnt help me and i turned it back on.

Ive also seen how my gpu runs very hot in some games like over 80c but i have been able to undervolt the gpu using msi afterburner to get it more steady like in 70ish area. But without the undervolt on stock settings for the gpu, something like sea of thieves can get to 86c

I have also updated my bios as there was a new version but still didnt help it.

Ive tried rolling back driver updates on the rtx 3070 and still no fixes. Ive tried basically everything at this point and if anyone can help id really appreciate it.

Im on windows 10 and have updated it all. Ive also already reset pc and did fresh install and still my games stutter. Ive also disabled some things like xbox game bar and alot of other things and nothing has helped get rid of this constant stutter in all games.

Cpu: intel i7 11700kf

Gpu: rtx 3070 msi 2x

Ram: brllstix 2x8gb ram ddr4 3000mhz

Psu: 800w psu

Motherboard: gigabyte z590 ud ac

Storage: 1tb m.2 ssd

So your gpu is probably causing stuttering due to throttling. Use the fan curve on MSI Afterburner. Set it to a more aggresive fan speed curve. Say match fan speed to temperature, like 50c to 50% fan speed, the closer you get to 70c the more aggressive it should get Like 70c set to 100% fan speed to keep it cooled.. You ideally want to keep the card at 70c and under in most cases. Also ramp up the case fans speed also, getting rid of case heat will help with temperatures too. I would set the gpu back to normal settings. Make sure if you have freesync on your monitor it is enabled. If you have good cpu cooling, try setting your windows power setting to high performance when gaming, it ramps up your cpu so that it doesnt have to play catch up with getting up to turbo speeds. In Nvidia control panel, 3d settings, set preferred refresh rate to highest available, set low latencey mode to Off.

Jul 29, 2021
So your gpu is probably causing stuttering due to throttling. Use the fan curve on MSI Afterburner. Set it to a more aggresive fan speed curve. Say match fan speed to temperature, like 50c to 50% fan speed, the closer you get to 70c the more aggressive it should get Like 70c set to 100% fan speed to keep it cooled.. You ideally want to keep the card at 70c and under in most cases. Also ramp up the case fans speed also, getting rid of case heat will help with temperatures too. I would set the gpu back to normal settings. Make sure if you have freesync on your monitor it is enabled. If you have good cpu cooling, try setting your windows power setting to high performance when gaming, it ramps up your cpu so that it doesnt have to play catch up with getting up to turbo speeds. In Nvidia control panel, 3d settings, set preferred refresh rate to highest available, set low latencey mode to Off.
I dont think its throtteling though because i can play minecraft and the gpu only reach in like 40 to 50c. Also i have set the fan curve before in msi but that doesnt seem to help but i havent put 70c to 100% so ill give it a try. But still doesnt make sense how minecraft i get very low temps on gpu but i get these micro stutters. This happens in like any games i play very small micro stutters. Also about the freesync, thats a no. I have a gsync and still stutters while its on and off also while using vsync on or off. Also ive done the power plan to high performance, still stutters. Ill also look into the nvidia control panel refresh rate and latency options thanks.

Jul 29, 2021
I think 86 is a bit on the hot side.
Do a test...
run with the case open and point a desk fan at it and see what happens to the temps and the stuttering.
It was getting about those temps in sea of thieves. But i undervolted the gpu and can run sea of thieves now max settings and all in thr 70 to 76c range. But what doesnt make sense to me is that something like minecraft my temps are very low for gpu like in the 40 to 50c but i still get these micro stutters

Jul 29, 2021
Exact make and model of your PSU is needed.

Did you do a clean new windows installation?
I did the reset pc option inside windows settings. And did a cloud reinstall of windows, also tried local and nothing helped. Is that how you mean with clean new windows installation?

also I just looked at the psu and its aprevia 800w 80 gold plus. I got this psu not by choice, this pc i got is from cyberpowerpc and this is the psu that came with the prebuilt i bought. Doesnt seem like all too good of a psu. But idk is there anyway to tell if the psu is the issue by doing some tests with benchmark or something? Here is the link i found for it https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-ATX-PR800W-Prestige-Certified-Compliance/dp/B07NWZZXHQ

That PSU is indeed NOT a good one. It's mediocre and mediocre is not cutting it for RTX 3000 series GPUs. It may not be your issue but you will be far safer with a better PSU in the long run. A better PSU keeps all of your hardware safe and ensures that if they fail, it's not from any power issue.
I suggest you swap it to a tier A from this list:
In comparison, yours is tier C.

Clean windows installation is when you wipe out EVERYTHING by formatting the drive and then installing from a USB made from windows media creation tool the latest windows version. Resetting is like using a paper towel to clean the floor from the spilled milk. The milk is gone but the floor is not clean.

Windows updates all done? (If you've done any kind of 'factory resets from existing recovery partition, this would likely be a 'two or three versions of WIn10' ago, ergo, dooming you to waiting to a solid hour of two of downloading/applying updates...(which, while even downloading, can drag things down somewhat...)

You might also run HWMonitor, and CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu for 10-20 minutes, looking for any signs of CPU thermal throttling...

Jul 29, 2021
Jul 29, 2021
Windows updates all done? (If you've done any kind of 'factory resets from existing recovery partition, this would likely be a 'two or three versions of WIn10' ago, ergo, dooming you to waiting to a solid hour of two of downloading/applying updates...(which, while even downloading, can drag things down somewhat...)

You might also run HWMonitor, and CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu for 10-20 minutes, looking for any signs of CPU thermal throttling...
windows updates all done yeah and ive factory reset a few times still no help. someone said do a fresh install from usb i might try that. also ill try the cpu thing right now.

Jul 29, 2021
That PSU is indeed NOT a good one. It's mediocre and mediocre is not cutting it for RTX 3000 series GPUs. It may not be your issue but you will be far safer with a better PSU in the long run. A better PSU keeps all of your hardware safe and ensures that if they fail, it's not from any power issue.

Clean windows installation is when you wipe out EVERYTHING by formatting the drive and then installing from a USB made from windows media creation tool the latest windows version. Resetting is like using a paper towel to clean the floor from the spilled milk. The milk is gone but the floor is not clean.
sucks because i dont know to change a psu. this was a prebuilt but ill try that windows fresh install you mentioned. also when the windows is on the usb do i format ssd and what will happen? will it still boot on ssd when i try booting up? any more detailed step guide to help with this?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021

here i ran a stress test for like 20 minutes i have 2 logs. one from cpu-z and one from hwinfo cpuz log hwinfo log

Jul 29, 2021

I did a full clean of windows. Installed from usc drive and the stutters are still here. Is there anything else i can do? Like show logs of something maybe someone here will catch im not sure what to do. Its like all games stutter but minecraft seems to be the most that stutters and i know its a more cpu dependant game so can that mean somethinv is wrong with the cpu? I dont know anymore im lost lol

Jul 29, 2021
I watched your videos and dont see any stutters?
They are there if you like at the frametime you can see the little spikes and thats where i see stutters alot. Also i posted some logs above from hwinfo if you dont mind looking do you see anything out of the ordinary? Also is there anything i can download like software wise to tell me why im getting these stutters? Like a monitoring software or somethin tht can tell me why i get stutters in games?

Feb 25, 2021
They are there if you like at the frametime you can see the little spikes and thats where i see stutters alot. Also i posted some logs above from hwinfo if you dont mind looking do you see anything out of the ordinary? Also is there anything i can download like software wise to tell me why im getting these stutters? Like a monitoring software or somethin tht can tell me why i get stutters in games?
Welcome on board man.... I have stuttering for almost half of year now.... Spend maybe like 200hours by fixing, and no luck. :)