Question New PC with Ryzen 3600x + RX 5700 is really slow and buggy

kwontagious

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Hey yal, so like many people, I hopped onto the Zen 2 hype train and bought a full new PC from Micro Center. But then I started having some issues.
Here are the specifications of what I bought:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU
AMD Radeon RX 5700 GPU
Corsair LPX DDR4 3000 16gb RAM
ASUS Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (I bought this at Micro Center and it had a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" Sticker on it)
NZXT Hale V2 700W Modular 80 Plus Bronze PSU
Inland Professional NVMe M.2 512gb Drive
NZXT S340

So what I mean by issues is that the PC seems really buggy.
  1. It stutters frequently, and this is just at the desktop or when I'm trying to open up my browser.
  2. The CPU fan keeps ramping up and then down very often.
  3. My monitor keeps making this very strange, constant noise as it has speakers connected to thru my DisplayPort
  4. I am unable to format an additional hard drive I bought for the system, it just says "formatting" but stays like that forever
  5. The PC has shut off a few times when trying to install drivers, the CPU fan ramps up and then the PC resets

This what I have tried to do so far:
  1. Swap out the RAM, nothing happened
  2. Re-apply and re-seat the CPU, CPU cooler, and thermal paste.
  3. Re-install Windows 10

I'm just looking for other suggestions or if I should just straight up swap a part at Micro Center.
Thank you all for looking / helping!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What BIOS version are you using?
If you hit DEL after rebooting and go into the BIOS it will have the BIOS version listed.
If it is version 2406, I would try flashing version 2301 (you might need to use the Asus BUpdater utility) and see if that helps.
Apparently version 2406 is pretty buggy.

Reactions: kwontagious

kwontagious

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
If you hit DEL after rebooting and go into the BIOS it will have the BIOS version listed.
If it is version 2406, I would try flashing version 2301 (you might need to use the Asus BUpdater utility) and see if that helps.
Yeah it's 2406. If I switch to 2301, does it still support the 3600x?

kwontagious

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

Bro you're a legend! I rolled back to 2301 and all the issues are gone.
Unfortunately, I had to jump through a few hoops because 2406 does not allow roll backs and kept giving me an error in EZFlash saying "Selected File is not a proper bios".

To roll back I used this guide: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-in-DOS-with-USB-tutorial-Intel-AMD-roll-back

It worked for me like a charm and others in that thread are also reporting that it worked, so if you don't have the ability to use EZFlash, try that out!