[SOLVED] New PC won't boot in dual channel RAM configuration, just power cycles ?

May 12, 2021
I cannot get my PC to boot with dual ram.

I bought a custom computer from iBuyPower and received it on Monday. At first, it just turned on and off repeatedly and had no display. The motherboard had both the CPU and DRAM red LED lights on so I started messing with the ram. My MOBO wants dual ram in A2 and B2 which is how it came. I took them out and put them back in and it still did not work. I tried it in A1 and B1 as well just in case, then tried them in every other combination I could think of with no change.
Both sticks of ram work individually in B1. It still boots with them in B1 and B2, but of course, that is not dual.
I tried two other sticks of ram that are currently in my SOs computer and those also do not work, so the sticks themselves do not seem to be the issue.
I tried resetting BIOS and reset CMOS with no change.
I tried reseating the PSU. No pins looked bent or damaged in any way.
Also tried loosening the CPU cooler to make sure there wasn't too much pressure on the CPU that was causing the issue but no matter how loose it is, it does not fix the power cycling when both are installed.
All cables were unconnected and reconnected before I did anything else, so that also doesn't seem to be the problem...
I guess I am just at a loss of what to do now. I am thinking it is the motherboard and I'm going to have to send my whole PC back.

Any help? Fair warning, I am new to PCs so I am learning as I go.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4
Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - G Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (MSI) - 12GB GDDR6

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

Whilst there are some steps that could be done to help, it boils down to this:
I bought a custom computer from iBuyPower and received it on Monday.

If it's new, get them to sort it out. For a couple of reasons. It is their responsibility to give you functioning goods and they won't know about it unless it's returned. But also because if it is faulty, it's their responsibility and cost to resolve it. It's annoying, but the best option.

Lastly, you wouldn't want to void any warranties.

Thoughts would suggest based on what you have done is that it could just be a MB problem, but the only way to tell confidently is by swapping out the MB entirely.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Whilst there are some steps that could be done to help, it boils down to this:
I bought a custom computer from iBuyPower and received it on Monday.

If it's new, get them to sort it out. For a couple of reasons. It is their responsibility to give you functioning goods and they won't know about it unless it's returned. But also because if it is faulty, it's their responsibility and cost to resolve it. It's annoying, but the best option.

Lastly, you wouldn't want to void any warranties.

Thoughts would suggest based on what you have done is that it could just be a MB problem, but the only way to tell confidently is by swapping out the MB entirely.

Solution