Question New PC won't boot past BIOS

May 20, 2023
I've built several PC's so I've done a lot of troubleshooting already, feel free to point out simple things to try still just please list more than 1 or 2 things because I don't want several comments all just telling me to move ram from 1and3 to 2and4 (it's in 2and4 and I tried 1and3 later just because nothing else was working and then moved them back).
When booting things go fine, I reach BIOS (have not installed windows yet cause I haven't had the chance) upon entering bios I have 5 seconds tops to do anything, the only thing I've managed to visibly see is CPU temp is 85C! This PC is not running, has not run and has not been on for more than 15 seconds at a time, there is no way the cpu has reached 85C in a 69F house. I double checked all power and cpu cooler connections. I have done many trouble shooting things online, I've tried random things that I didn't expect to work but didn't have other options. I don't know what else to try. What few things I have thought of are complicated and I'll be attempting them tomorrow when I wake up (1am right now).

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
MOBO: ASUS b550f-gaming wifi 2
Cooler: EK AIO 240 D-RGB
RAM: Mushkin Redline Lumina (2x16) 3600 CL16
GPU: 6700xt
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

ADDITION: The pc boots into BIOS and states CPU temp is 79-80, after 5 seconds it jumps to 85 and unalives itself.

Fixed: Removing and remounting/wiring the aio pump resolved this issue, thermal paste was not evenly touching, I believe I had not screwed the pump down all the way the first time, I haven't worked with one of these coolers before and was hesitant. Reapplied thermal paste and tightened mounting screws more. I was sure it was something stupid like this but it was 1am and I was tired. Thanks for the looking into helping.

Newest update: upon the next boot attempt I deduced the pump to not be functioning. Product was returned and a new aio (different product) was purchased, installed easily and functioned immediately. I don’t think this was EK brands fault so don’t shy away from them but look for other users who might have this same error.

Last edited:
I've built several PC's so I've done a lot of troubleshooting already, feel free to point out simple things to try still just please list more than 1 or 2 things because I don't want several comments all just telling me to move ram from 1and3 to 2and4 (it's in 2and4 and I tried 1and3 later just because nothing else was working and then moved them back).
When booting things go fine, I reach BIOS (have not installed windows yet cause I haven't had the chance) upon entering bios I have 5 seconds tops to do anything, the only thing I've managed to visibly see is CPU temp is 85C! This PC is not running, has not run and has not been on for more than 15 seconds at a time, there is no way the cpu has reached 85C in a 69F house. I double checked all power and cpu cooler connections. I have done many trouble shooting things online, I've tried random things that I didn't expect to work but didn't have other options. I don't know what else to try. What few things I have thought of are complicated and I'll be attempting them tomorrow when I wake up (1am right now).

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
MOBO: ASUS b550f-gaming wifi 2
Cooler: EK AIO 240 D-RGB
RAM: Mushkin Redline Lumina (2x16) 3600 CL16
GPU: 6700xt
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

ADDITION: The pc boots into BIOS and states CPU temp is 79-80, after 5 seconds it jumps to 85 and unalives itself.
"unalives itself" what does that mean ???? Shuts off ???

D

Deleted member 2838871

I believe so. "Unalive" is a term that has recently become widespread on FB and other social media platforms... because it doesn't set off the alarm bells resulting in the bad word police coming to find you if you had instead used words like "kill" "death" "died" "murdered" etc...

The world we live in today. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 2838871

So AI is not as smart as we are lead to believe ?

I dunno... I've seen the term used a lot in true crime chat online... most recently the Idaho college murders... i.e. "he went inside and unalived the 4 people" because apparently saying "he went inside and murdered the 4 people" can get you thrown into FB jail.

Not sure who makes those decisions but as said... it's the world we live in today where you have to watch what you say because someone can and probably will be offended or end up with hurt feelings over anything and everything.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
In any case, a properly functioning cooling solution would keep those temperatures under control since it's a basic application of thermal dynamics, so the first place to look would be whether the cooler is working properly and/or whether the cooler is installed properly.

Also, OP, it would be helpful, if you're going to insist that people not tell you things you've already tried, if you actually said what you've actually tried other than moving RAM around.

May 20, 2023
Yes, it powers down as soon as the temp registers 85C
I believe so. "Unalive" is a term that has recently become widespread on FB and other social media platforms... because it doesn't set off the alarm bells resulting in the bad word police coming to find you if you had instead used words like "kill" "death" "died" "murdered" etc...

The world we live in today. :ROFLMAO:
yeah I wasn’t sure what bots combed the site and I wanted the dramatics of death without getting removed on my first post and I’m in need of help lol.
In any case, a properly functioning cooling solution would keep those temperatures under control since it's a basic application of thermal dynamics, so the first place to look would be whether the cooler is working properly and/or whether the cooler is installed properly.

Also, OP, it would be helpful, if you're going to insist that people not tell you things you've already tried, if you actually said what you've actually tried other than moving RAM around.

May 20, 2023

yeah I wasn’t sure what bots combed the site and I wanted the dramatics of death without getting removed on my first post and I’m in need of help lol.

I just didn’t want to be spammed with the simple stuff by every user on here. Feel free to mention any of them that I don’t state I am not cocky and know I could easily miss something simple I just didn’t want carbon copy responses and lists of the simpler tasks.
The problem I’m having is of course temperature. The aio is mounted securely, the fans are plugged in and the pump is plugged in, all to the proper ports on the motherboard. Tomorrow morning I will attempt a hard reset of this hardware, uninstalling and reinstalling just in case that’s the issue. However I don’t understand how the temp is reaching 80-85 Celsius while powered for 15 seconds (this is literal 15 seconds though not exactly timed, I hardly make it into bios but I haven’t used a stopwatch)

That processor shouldn't shut off with less than 100c so maybe some sensor on MB is over reacting.
I'm not familiar with tha cooler but can you ceck if pump is actually running and at full speed. If properly mounted that's only reason it may overheat at idle.

May 20, 2023
That processor shouldn't shut off with less than 100c so maybe some sensor on MB is over reacting.
I'm not familiar with tha cooler but can you ceck if pump is actually running and at full speed. If properly mounted that's only reason it may overheat at idle.
I only have access to the BIOS for 5 seconds, there is no "idle" time to be completely honest. I am about to attempt using the stock cooler and see if it's possibly the aio cooler causing a problem. I have no way to check if the pump is actually running since it shuts down before I can actually look at and change things in the bios menu.

I only have access to the BIOS for 5 seconds, there is no "idle" time to be completely honest. I am about to attempt using the stock cooler and see if it's possibly the aio cooler causing a problem. I have no way to check if the pump is actually running since it shuts down before I can actually look at and change things in the bios menu.
You'll hae to check pump sooner or later.
Find a way to connect pump to 12v directly to PSU by way of adapter from Molex of SATA power outs, or move it to another header you know it works.
AIO_PUMP headers are usually non adjustable

May 20, 2023
You'll hae to check pump sooner or later.
Find a way to connect pump to 12v directly to PSU by way of adapter from Molex of SATA power outs, or move it to another header you know it works.
AIO_PUMP headers are usually non adjustable
Pump was the first thing I did when I got up (just now), was going to attempt a stock cooler and found my thermal paste wasn't evenly spread in contact. Upon reapplying paste and remounting I tightened my screws more. I have booted and cooled properly. Thanks for the help, I was sure it would be something dumb like this I was just very tired last night haha. EK coolers are new for me, they mount fairly easily, and I guess I rushed it the first time.

Reactions: CountMike