[SOLVED] New PC won't boot to windows after moving SSD from old PC

Jun 15, 2020
Just build my new PC
  • i5-9600k
  • Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
  • Samsung 1tb 860 evo
  • Gigabityte RTX 2060 super
  • Corsair 3600Mhz (16gb)

After connecting everything up and powering on, the CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT LEDs each turn on for about a second (one after the other), then it stays lit for BOOT when I get into the BIOS. I havent changed any settings in the BIOS.

I already have a functional SSD (with Windows 10 installed and all my other files) from my old PC (ASUS mobo), but it's only being detected as SATA connection and not as a bootable drive. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Solution
That will not boot. Your windows install and drivers etc are all set to your old hardware. You will have to do a clean install.

If you can, I would recommend install the drive back in with the old pc and backing up your files. Your windows license is tied to your motherboard so you should deactivate that too and save the key so you can reactivate it on the new system.

afromac

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
That will not boot. Your windows install and drivers etc are all set to your old hardware. You will have to do a clean install.

If you can, I would recommend install the drive back in with the old pc and backing up your files. Your windows license is tied to your motherboard so you should deactivate that too and save the key so you can reactivate it on the new system.

Solution