Question New PC won't detect old monitor

Dec 27, 2020
Hey,
I recently purchased a new PC but it won't detect my monitor, no matter what I tried (not even in boot)
The monitor works fine with my laptop, and my brother's monitor works fine with my PC.
Monitor - LG 22EN33 with adapter to HDMI
GPU - Gigabyte 3070 eagle
GPU Driver updated

Any ideas? I really don't want to buy a new monitor now..

Hey,
I recently purchased a new PC but it won't detect my monitor, no matter what I tried (not even in boot)
The monitor works fine with my laptop, and my brother's monitor works fine with my PC.
Monitor - LG 22EN33 with adapter to HDMI
GPU - Gigabyte 3070 eagle
GPU Driver updated

Any ideas? I really don't want to buy a new monitor now..

4745454b

Titan
Which adapter? Brothers monitor i assume doesn't use an adapter?

This usually happens because all current video cards don't have any analog support. So people use a dvi or hdmi to vga adapter not realizing they need an active adapter, not a passive one which they've used before. An active adapter or even better a new monitor will fix this.

Dec 27, 2020
Which adapter? Brothers monitor i assume doesn't use an adapter?

This usually happens because all current video cards don't have any analog support. So people use a dvi or hdmi to vga adapter not realizing they need an active adapter, not a passive one which they've used before. An active adapter or even better a new monitor will fix this.
Thank for the fast reply,
I'm using this adapter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B0kw1s
And I see it really not an active adapter as you said, just curious how my laptop is able to detect it (it uses 1660 gpu I think).
I will look for an active adapter hopefully it will fix the problem.

Greg Gregorich

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
i have better idea i just need your continent location,why .if you in US you can find used monitor of price of adaptor.trift stores or goodwill best stores for that.just look for hdmi connector on the monitor pwer cable they usually all the same .good luck.

Dec 27, 2020
i have better idea i just need your continent location,why .if you in US you can find used monitor of price of adaptor.trift stores or goodwill best stores for that.just look for hdmi connector on the monitor pwer cable they usually all the same .good luck.

Unfortunately I'm from Israel, no monitors of price of adapter in here 😅

Dec 27, 2020
UPDATE:
Weird thing happened.. I used different PSU (from my old pc) and my new pc was able to detect the screen, but when I used my new PSU it won't detect it.
(reminding that the GPU is indeed working in both cases since even with the new PSU I was able to detect different monitor)

Any ideas on why the hell this happening?

Dec 27, 2020
Can you make this clearer? I know what you did, but my mind isn't tracking. Names of pays with what works and doesn't would help.
Yeah, of course.
At first I thought something is wrong with my graphic card or my monitor/cable(using VGA to HMDI adapter) since my PC won't detect the monitor but detect other one.
While I was testing all of the components of the PC, I connected my PC to my old PSU from my previous PC and somehow I was able to detect my monitor (the one I didn't detect before).
thoughts?

4745454b

Titan
Detects or works? I meant draw up something like this.

PSUa, system1, hdmi to vga, my monitor, doesn't work.

Psua, system1, hdmi to vga, bro monitor, does work.

I can't keep the cases where it does work vs doesn't straight. As i said, i understand what you did, but I'm looking for a clearer lost of what works vs doesn't. It would also help to know what the psus are. If it doesn't work with yours, even if you use the igp, then perhaps your psu is dead. Or not hooked up right.

Dec 27, 2020
Detects or works? I meant draw up something like this.

PSUa, system1, hdmi to vga, my monitor, doesn't work.

Psua, system1, hdmi to vga, bro monitor, does work.

I can't keep the cases where it does work vs doesn't straight. As i said, i understand what you did, but I'm looking for a clearer lost of what works vs doesn't. It would also help to know what the psus are. If it doesn't work with yours, even if you use the igp, then perhaps your psu is dead. Or not hooked up right.
detect = work
PSUa, system1, my monitor, VGA to HDMI, doesn't work
PSUa, system1, bro monitor, standard HDMI, works
PSUb,sysyem1, my monitor, VGA to HDMI, works

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well those are hefty enough and new enough that there shouldn't be any issues with a gpu output on a 3070. I've never seen a psu that'll only supply partial power on a rail, it either works within specs or it doesn't.

That's just confusing. Your pc + your psu + monitor fails, your pc + your psu + bro's monitor passes, your pc + your monitor + bro's psu passes. The swap in psu shouldn't change the outcome although the swap in monitor very well could with analog void gpus and a passive adapter. The last one, PSU B + your monitor + vga-hdmi adapter should have been a fail too, PSU B + bro's monitor + hdmi would have been a pass. Psu making no difference.

Any setup with the vga-hdmi adapter should have been a fail.

Dec 27, 2020
Well those are hefty enough and new enough that there shouldn't be any issues with a gpu output on a 3070. I've never seen a psu that'll only supply partial power on a rail, it either works within specs or it doesn't.

That's just confusing. Your pc + your psu + monitor fails, your pc + your psu + bro's monitor passes, your pc + your monitor + bro's psu passes. The swap in psu shouldn't change the outcome although the swap in monitor very well could with analog void gpus and a passive adapter. The last one, PSU B + your monitor + vga-hdmi adapter should have been a fail too, PSU B + bro's monitor + hdmi would have been a pass. Psu making no difference.

Any setup with the vga-hdmi adapter should have been a fail.

I strongly agree, that's why I'm so confused :nomouth: