Question New PC wont install Windows 10

Jul 8, 2019
I have a problem with a new PC build.
When I try to install windows 10 from usb, the computer freezes when loading the installation.

I know the USB works fine, since i have used it to install windows on a couple of PC’s recently, and it worked just fine.

I have tried switching out the RAM, PSU and CPU. But nothing worked.

Any help is approciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi, welcome to Toms :)

what are specs of the PC?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. You will need to make it using another PC as it creates a bootable USB

can you test that the boot drive works in another PC?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

The PC parts are:
Motherboard:
Asus ROG STRIX B360-F Gaming
Power supply:
Corsair RMX650x 650w
RAM:
Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 - 16GB
CPU:
Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz
SSD:
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB

Tested the USB on another PC and it worked fine.
I will test the ram using memtest86 later today.

Jul 8, 2019
Hi, welcome to Toms :)

what are specs of the PC?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. You will need to make it using another PC as it creates a bootable USB

can you test that the boot drive works in another PC?

I have tested the RAM using memtest86, with 0 error counts on both sticks.

I’ve just read up on the compatability list for my motherboard, and it looks like my motherboard doesnt support above 3000mhz memory. My RAM is 3200mhz... Could that be the problem?

Jul 8, 2019
Yes, it could be.

That is the sort of thing I would have looked at before buying ram, does it work with the motherboard

Yeah, you’re right. Big mistake on my part.

But thanks anyways for taking your time helping me. Hope I didn’t waste too mutch of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 10 has an issue with usb devices being plugged in during a install, if you can burn the ISO to a DVD and install it that way.

So far i know that mouse, keyboard, and a usb DVD drive can be plugged in during install. Ive left a usb stick in once during an install and it halted the install and told me to remove it.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And by what version I mean exactly that. When you download the Media Creation Tool these days it indicates in the EXE file name what version (e.g., 1803, 1809, 1903) of the Win10 ISO will be downloaded, whether just the ISO or it being used behind the scenes to create bootable media directly by the tool.

There have been issues with USB storage devices being connected on certain hardware for Version 1903 which had not occurred in prior versions. That's why I asked.