[SOLVED] New PC won't POST. Advice on next steps?

May 8, 2020
Hi everyone.

I have recently finished building a new PC for the first time (specs below). When I plug it in and turn it on, the fans run, the motherboard lights up and the power LED comes on. However, there are no beeps and it doesn't register the monitor or keyboard. I know the HDMI monitor works from testing with a laptop.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

SSD: Kingston 960GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, I have tried the 23 steps in:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...AwHZ4IFvNmTi5f2rX4LNqYaoRFJut4PNAJ2YLSxvUZXkM

I have also unplugged and replugged in everything (all IO connectors to motherboard, gpu, cpu+fan, RAM,power supply connections on both ends). Some of these I have re-done more than once.

There appears to be no support for Q-LED with this motherboard. Also, without any noises, I am unable to identify if there is a problem with a specific component. Based on the manual (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-P/E15650_PRIME_X570-P_UM_WEB_V2.pdf ), the number of audio warnings it can give are quite sparse anyway (basically "no RAM" or "hardware failure").

I am out of ideas and was hoping this community could provide advice on where to go next with trouble-shooting. Alternatively if anyone has any familiarity with building with these parts, that could also be helpful. Without anything more I can do, my next step is likely to try return as many parts as I still can and give up on the dream.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Extra things that might help:
For the connector between the power supply and the CPU, I was given an 8pin 12V cable. The motherboard has both an 8 pin slot and a 4 pin slot next to it. Do I need to somehow be plugging something into both of those or is just the 8 pin fine?

I am not 100% sure on the directions that the front IO connections are supposed to plug into the motherboard. Currently, the PLED and PWR have the writing facing "up" and the HDD_LED and RESET, which are opposite to the PLED+PWR, have the writing facing "down". I have tried rotating them but this has not helped. I also do not have cords for SPEAKER or an extra set of PLED pins that the motherboard has. Could this somehow be a problem?

Feel free to ask for any other info I may have forgotten.

Solution
"The motherboard has both an 8 pin slot and a 4 pin slot next to it. Do I need to somehow be plugging something into both of those or is just the 8 pin fine?"

On your board you have 2 CPU power connectors. One is a 8 pin and the other one a 4 pin. ONLY the 8 pin needs to be connected. The 4 pin is for extreme overclocking and you do not need to use it.

You need to take the 8 pin (4+4) ESP/CPU cable from your PSU and connect it to the board 8 pin. Without this the system cannot boot.
"The motherboard has both an 8 pin slot and a 4 pin slot next to it. Do I need to somehow be plugging something into both of those or is just the 8 pin fine?"

On your board you have 2 CPU power connectors. One is a 8 pin and the other one a 4 pin. ONLY the 8 pin needs to be connected. The 4 pin is for extreme overclocking and you do not need to use it.

You need to take the 8 pin (4+4) ESP/CPU cable from your PSU and connect it to the board 8 pin. Without this the system cannot boot.

Solution
May 8, 2020
The 8-pin CPU cable is plugged in. To answer Grobe, the manual says to either connect the 8-pin or both the 8-pin and the 4-pin. 650W seemed adequate for the system.

Quick question regarding the front inputs - Should the reset button do anything when I press it even if it isn't passing the POST? i.e. should the fans stop and start up again? I don't see any visual change in those when I press the reset button.

May 8, 2020
Quick update:

RAM wasn't in tight enough. Basically, only one side of the RAM slot has an adjustible lever and that side was fine (I was hearing the click sound I wanted when I pushed the RAM in). However, turns out it wasn't fully in on the other side so all it needed was a good push there. I feel pretty stupid, but it appears to all be running smoothly now.

Thanks for your help.

Quick update:

RAM wasn't in tight enough. Basically, only one side of the RAM slot has an adjustible lever and that side was fine (I was hearing the click sound I wanted when I pushed the RAM in). However, turns out it wasn't fully in on the other side so all it needed was a good push there. I feel pretty stupid, but it appears to all be running smoothly now.

Thanks for your help.

Glad you fixed your issue! It can happen. :)