AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 822.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI B550-A Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 CL
Team T-Force Vulcan G 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Fully Modular
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G Dual Fan EVO Edition GDDR6
Tecware Nexus C ATX Mid Tower

Just put together my first PC, and no post. Just says no signal. Lights/Fans all come on and stay on. I did notice that the motherboard has 4 little lights that shine on one at a time, labelled EZ LED DEBUG, with lights for "CPU" "DRAM" "VGA" and "BOOT," and every time i try to turn it on, CPU flashes for a few seconds, it either skips the DRAM light all together or the light will flash weakly, then it flashes normally on VGA, then to BOOT where it will stay on without displaying anything. I don't have a monitor yet but assumed a TV with an HDMI cable would work the same until I can get one.

I took out the motherboard from the case and breadboarded the whole thing, doing it all again a few different times.
I've checked the CPU. No smudges or bent pins. Clean aside from the thermal paste.
Checked all wiring and connections. Power seems fine, everything turns on and spins.
I updated the Motherboard to the latest version via USB. Seemed successful but can't confirm since it won't turn on.
I tried starting it without the GPU connected. The little light for VGA will stay on and not do anything else.
Tried switching ram positions, as well as 1 at a time in each slot.
Tried all the HDMI slots on the PC with different HDMI cables.

How likely is it that both sticks of RAM are DOA,? Or is there something else I'm missing entirely? I've spent too much money on this to give up now. I'm about to just take it to a PC repair shop and beg them to save me, but I'd rather do it myself if I can. I just want to play Skyrim for the 100th time.

Solution
No need for operational cpu to do the update but is a good point if it was done properly. Did you rename the bios file (not zipped or folders) to MSI.rom to update?

Another good point about your boot drive. Those led indicators isolate common errors and illuminates fully if can't complete the test.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Have you checked that everything is compatible when you built the PC?
Make sure the TV is set to look for the same HDMI that is connected to the PC (Usually they have more than one HDMI port) in case it does show some sort of error message.

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Have you checked that everything is compatible when you built the PC?
Make sure the TV is set to look for the same HDMI that is connected to the PC (Usually they have more than one HDMI port) in case it does show some sort of error message.
The only problem I saw for compatibility was that the Motherboard needed to be updated, and I updated it via USB already. Could it be that even with the update it’s still not compatible?

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
The only problem I saw for compatibility was that the Motherboard needed to be updated, and I updated it via USB already. Could it be that even with the update it’s still not compatible?
I did a quick check on PC Part Picker, which resulted in an incompatibility: "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "

How did you update the motherboard via USB? Did you try with a compatible CPU?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No need for operational cpu to do the update but is a good point if it was done properly. Did you rename the bios file (not zipped or folders) to MSI.rom to update?

Another good point about your boot drive. Those led indicators isolate common errors and illuminates fully if can't complete the test.

Reactions: mrmike16
Solution

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
I suspect the Bios may need updating to support newer processors.

TV is fine for a display. No point trying motherboard video ports because they won't work without cpu integrated graphics.
I tried updating the motherboard to the latest version.
I did a quick check on PC Part Picker, which resulted in an incompatibility: "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "

How did you update the motherboard via USB? Did you try with a compatible CPU?
I updated it with a USB. It seemed to work, motherboard came on, reset itself, the works. I don’t have a compatible CPU available and I can’t afford to buy another unless I absolutely have to

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015

Yes, I followed a tutorial and it seemed to work as they described.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016

Could it successfully boot without the SSD enough to show up on the monitor/TV? Just a wild guess but maybe you could check that way if that's the issue. Just try booting without the hard drive. In my experience it should at least show up saying "No drive found" or something like that.

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
With the wrong BIOS the boot would stop on CPU led.As MeanMachine mentioned the Boot led indicates problem with your SSD. Easy way to check it out - unplug SSD and PC should boot fine if your drive is a problem.
Just tried this. I unplugged the SSD completely and left it on for a few minutes. No change.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could it successfully boot without the SSD enough to show up on the monitor/TV? Just a wild guess but maybe you could check that way if that's the issue. Just try booting without the hard drive. In my experience it should at least show up saying "No drive found" or something like that.

I can boot to bios without a drive connected, p8p67 2600k, pretty old system.

It may not be the issue with you though, the motherboard is just saying it found no drive but shouldn't stop video imo. Only way to know is put one in.

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Possibly, bios update wasn't done successfully. I can't see how drive or no drive would cause no display. Im not sure cpu debug led would illuminate still even if bios wasn't compatible either.

Probably best take it to a pc store and share what they find.
You’re right, I should just suck it up and get hands on help. It’s probably a mistake I made I can’t figure out on my own since I don’t know enough. Thank you for your help!

breh_soe

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Wouldn't mark thread as solved just yet. Besides it being against the rules selecting self ba, someone else with more knowledge could stumble by. Solved thread will deter that possibility.
Oops, not familiar with how things work. I didn’t know that would close it. I’ll open it back up.