New PC Won't Post With 7970 (does with a GTX 560)

dDave

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hey everyone, I built this system yesterday and I'm having some issues with it. (specifically the graphics card)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Gigabyte X79 UP4 LGA 2011 Motherboard
Intel i7 3930k (3.2GHz six-core) LGA 2011 Processor
32GB G. Skill Ares series @1866mhz (in quad-channel)
180GB Intel 520 SSD
500GB Extra HDD
800w Corsair GS PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition Case
Triple ASUS 24" HD Displays
EVGA GTX 560 Superclocked (2gb)
Logitech 5.1 Surround

I'm using the GTX 560 because I cannot get my other card to work. I also bought an ASUS Matrix 7970 GHz 3GB 384-bit graphics card. When I try to load up this card, the computer turns on (everything, including the 7970) lights up as it should, but the computer gives no post. When I took out this card and put in my GTX 560, the computer works exactly as intended.

At first I thought it must be the power supply, but I used a psu tester and a multimeter to confirm that everything was receiving sufficient power. Adding up all of the required wattage does not come close to 800 (my psu is 80+ certified)

I just want to reiterate this, everything works flawlessly when the GTX 560 is installed, the pc will not even post with the 7970 installed.

I also did a clean install of Windows on the SSD if that helps at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

dDave

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for the help!

The BIOS wouldn't update using the program in Windows.

What I did instead was load the files onto a bootable USB flash drive (formatted in FAT32 for those of you that read this later) and update the BIOS from there. I extracted all of the downloaded BIOS files onto the computer and then I moved it over to the flash drive and booted the flash drive on startup, very easy.

Everything seems to be in order now, the 7970 is working perfectly. The only thing I need now is an active display port to DVI-D adapter to drive the 3rd display (I have 2 working right now). I was afraid that I had a DOA card, turns out it was just a BIOS issue, that's a relief.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Consider this problem resolved.