francescopadormo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hello!

I've recently built a amd athlon 3200+ on a winfast mobo. Everything worked correctly, installed xp, etc etc. I updated my mobos audio drivers and now on startup nothing happens! It takes ages to get past post, and starting up from the HDD results in nothing happening.

Mobo: WinFastNF$K8AC-RS-1.0

Thanks for any help!

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
When POST stalls, it's always a hardware issue. Crack open the box, and check all the connections to make sure everything is secure. That means memory as well as all the cables.

To set your mind at ease about one thing: the mobo audio drivers would NOT cause this.

There is a serious hardware problem.

Settle the issue as to your memory still being good as well. Using another comp, download MemTest - create their cd, and test your ram for at least 4 hours.

francescopadormo

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for the help!

I somehow managed to get it into safe mode, and I'm running mem test.

I think the problem MAY be with the SATA drivers, and with all the BIOS settings. If you could think of any problems in there i'd appreciate it!

Now I'm in safe mode what checks should I run? A current problem I have is that only one hard drive is shown, but two are plugged into the sata ports.

Thanks again!

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Go into your Bios and find the page where you can set everything to Defaults.

At this forum, go to Hardware - Storage - Hard Disks, and read the SATA Referendum post.