[SOLVED] New pc

Sep 20, 2019
Building not buying

Evga Ultra Xc 2070 - i5-4690k - G.Skill TridentX 2x8gb 2133mhz - Corsair 850w - Gigabyte Z-97X Gaming 3 - Don't remember the cpu cooler, but it was a good one

Planning to upgrade to:
Cpu: i7-9700k or i9-9900k
Ram: 4x8gb 3000-3200mhz
Mobo: MSI Z390-A Pro

I play a moba and fps games, any suggestions on parts?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, you don't want 4 x8GB. 2 x16GB is much better, giving you the same memory capacity while reducing the stress on the internal memory controller that comes from having four DIMMs installed. You also still get dual channel operation. Four DIMMs tends to be harder to achieve XMP profile speeds with, increases CPU temperatures and in some cases creates stability issues with the memory configuration that require a bump in DRAM voltage, further increasing IMC stress and CPU temperatures.

Always use two DIMMs when possible. Four DIMMs should always be a last resort when the desired capacity cannot be obtained using only two.

I'd also shoot for 3200mhz sticks, preferably with a CL14 latency.

I like the G.Skill Trident Z sticks, or even...
Yes, you don't want 4 x8GB. 2 x16GB is much better, giving you the same memory capacity while reducing the stress on the internal memory controller that comes from having four DIMMs installed. You also still get dual channel operation. Four DIMMs tends to be harder to achieve XMP profile speeds with, increases CPU temperatures and in some cases creates stability issues with the memory configuration that require a bump in DRAM voltage, further increasing IMC stress and CPU temperatures.

Always use two DIMMs when possible. Four DIMMs should always be a last resort when the desired capacity cannot be obtained using only two.

I'd also shoot for 3200mhz sticks, preferably with a CL14 latency.

I like the G.Skill Trident Z sticks, or even the Ripjaws if you get them in CL14 or 15 models. The Corsair Dominator sticks are good too.

Also, personally I'd recommend looking at a higher end motherboard. That Z390-A Pro is a budget board, intended more for lower tiered 9th gen CPUs, so even though it technically supports it you could definitely run into issues if you you plan to overclock or run long duration sustained boost loads with that 9900k, especially if your cooling isn't up to snuff and while on that subject it would be helpful to know what cooler you have because coolers that might have been deemed "good" for older CPU generations tend to fall to the ground and curl up crying when used with the 9900k.

Last edited:
Solution
Everybody had to start somewhere. Nobody knew it all when they started working with computer systems, so that's all good.

If you can post an image of your current CPU cooler, we can probably figure out what it is.

Also, for the motherboard, in light of your CPU selection, I'd probably recommend this as being a much better option. This is the least expensive board I'd recommend using with that CPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $139.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-21 13:23 EDT-0400