Question New PCs 2600x running hot

Nov 18, 2019
Exactly what post says. checking it in AMDs app gives me this while idle. It goes to 85c while playing games. any suggestions why it would be doing this? The whole PCs is new I just built it myself minus putting the thermal paste on. Any suggestion is helpful as I'm new to building. Mind you it's the stock cooler and my friend applied new thermal paste on it after removing the factory stuff.

q0ueQ9G.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
58C is abit warm for idle. I'd wonder if the cooler was mounted correctly, or if your friend didn't apply the TIM properly. (although it is pretty hard to mess that up)
Why did you remove the factory TIM?
List the rest of the system specs, please... including the case it's in and the fan situation. And your ambient temps.

Nov 18, 2019
58C is abit warm for idle. I'd wonder if the cooler was mounted correctly, or if your friend didn't apply the TIM properly. (although it is pretty hard to mess that up)
Why did you remove the factory TIM?
List the rest of the system specs, please... including the case it's in and the fan situation. And your ambient temps.

Sure.
Case: Cooler Master Powerbox rgb5
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC Pro
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: Corsiar Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk

As for my house its staying around 74 degrees. As a little update though its staying now around 37-40c idle and last night while playing for about 5 hours only got to 72c. as for why we removed the thermal it was due to a error on my part, i slipped and broke the seal. So he said just clean it off and put new on. As for the fan other than the the GPU under it nothing is blocking or close to it. It's just the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you just built it, and is your first build i would check if you mounted properly the heatsink, if you used the stock one, wraith spire, it has 4 screws, check pressure on all of them in a x patern, first the top left, then the bottom right, then the upper right and finally the lower left

such high temps at idle only points to the heatsink not properly mounted, and is normal to have this problem, is very annoying to mount this stock cooler, i did it a couple weeks ago and don't want to use another stock cooler, the 4 screws are ap it to screw properly, takes way too long to do it well

Nov 18, 2019
if you just built it, and is your first build i would check if you mounted properly the heatsink, if you used the stock one, wraith spire, it has 4 screws, check pressure on all of them in a x patern, first the top left, then the bottom right, then the upper right and finally the lower left

such high temps at idle only points to the heatsink not properly mounted, and is normal to have this problem, is very annoying to mount this stock cooler, i did it a couple weeks ago and don't want to use another stock cooler, the 4 screws are ap it to screw properly, takes way too long to do it well

First thing I did. It's mounted good. All 4 screws are turned tight. I turned them till they stopped. But yeah i'm thinking of just buying a EVO cooler in a month or two. The temps have went down though so maybe it was just a fluke temp read?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
please use hwinfo to monitor temps, not ryzen master

about flukes, i don't trust on any of that, or works, or doesnt

a bigger cooler would only be better if this one is installed wrong or you did not put thermal paste and the stock one is solid and doing poor contact

the other reason to have problems with the temperature is poor airflow inside the case

Nov 18, 2019
please use hwinfo to monitor temps, not ryzen master

about flukes, i don't trust on any of that, or works, or doesnt

a bigger cooler would only be better if this one is installed wrong or you did not put thermal paste and the stock one is solid and doing poor contact

the other reason to have problems with the temperature is poor airflow inside the case

Thing is this is getting me the same temps too.

YoRPalc.jpg

Nov 18, 2019
try to put load in the cpu, use cinebench r15 or r20, or cpu-z and run a stress test, see how high it goes, keep hwinfo open, check also tmpin temperatures, if none is labeled as vrm temperatures
This is what i got stress testing. Thing is last night while playing 5 hours in both core temp and the ryzen master both gave 72c.

2j5OePm.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sure.
Case: Cooler Master Powerbox rgb5
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC Pro
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: Corsiar Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk

As for my house its staying around 74 degrees. As a little update though its staying now around 37-40c idle and last night while playing for about 5 hours only got to 72c. as for why we removed the thermal it was due to a error on my part, i slipped and broke the seal. So he said just clean it off and put new on. As for the fan other than the the GPU under it nothing is blocking or close to it. It's just the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.
Sounds like everything is fine now. Idle is right, and load temps after 5 Hrs. gaming at 72C is good. ??

As others mention already, hwinfo is the best choice, and keep in mind, while using a software to monitor temps, voltage, frecuency, etc, use only 1 at the time. Pick one, run one and stick with it. If you keep more than 1 at the same time it can mess up some readings.

As for 72°C after 5 hours of playing thats fine, specially for the stock cooler.

One thing to keep in mind, not all coolers have AM4 socket support, so check that out before choosing one.

Also the Hyper 212 is good, but there are tons of great options out there, some better and even cheaper (the following list are all socket AM4 ready):

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cr8j4D/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-565-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-gte
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1 (this Hyper 212 does come with socket AM4 support, others don't so be carefull!)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmXnTW/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cpu-cooler-acfre00060a

Remember when buying coolers always look at reviews first. There are lots of reviews, writen or in youtube.

Nov 18, 2019
40 as idle is pretty much ok and vrm looks fine to me

the problem is under load

what case do you have, how are configured the fans in the case?

3 fans in the front 1 in the back to expel the heat plus the 3 on gpu and the cooler fan. the case is the masterbox pro from coolermaster.

Nov 18, 2019
As others mention already, hwinfo is the best choice, and keep in mind, while using a software to monitor temps, voltage, frecuency, etc, use only 1 at the time. Pick one, run one and stick with it. If you keep more than 1 at the same time it can mess up some readings.

As for 72°C after 5 hours of playing thats fine, specially for the stock cooler.

One thing to keep in mind, not all coolers have AM4 socket support, so check that out before choosing one.

Also the Hyper 212 is good, but there are tons of great options out there, some better and even cheaper (the following list are all socket AM4 ready):

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cr8j4D/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-565-cfm-cpu-cooler-gammaxx-gte
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy...ck-edition-420-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pk-r1 (this Hyper 212 does come with socket AM4 support, others don't so be carefull!)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmXnTW/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cpu-cooler-acfre00060a

Remember when buying coolers always look at reviews first. There are lots of reviews, writen or in youtube.
Thanks. yeah I used partpicker to buy everything to make sure it was all compatible first. i'm glad that's a ok temp as i started to freak when it peaked once to 85c and started reading online everyone saying 60c was what they got. But if 72c after that amount of time is fine i should be good. I havent got 85c since the one time.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that case has very poor airflow, the 3 fans in the front are behind a acrylic panel am i right? is like not having intake fans at all

only one fan taking hot air out? well, it is a case meant to look pretty, not to have airflow, that is what you get when looks goes first

try to remove front pannel, see if things improve under load and on idle

Nov 18, 2019
that case has very poor airflow, the 3 fans in the front are behind a acrylic panel am i right? is like not having intake fans at all

only one fan taking hot air out? well, it is a case meant to look pretty, not to have airflow, that is what you get when looks goes first

try to remove front pannel, see if things improve under load and on idle

GPU heat is fine too i doubt my case is the issue bud. and the 3 fans in the front have a front panel covered in air intake holes. my friend has the same case and setup. He helped me pick the parts. Had his for a year now with zero issues.

Nov 18, 2019
Sounds like everything is fine now. Idle is right, and load temps after 5 Hrs. gaming at 72C is good. ??

Unfortunately no. It hit 83c again last night. I've took the front panel off to see if it could be airflow, but i don't see how if the CPU would get affected but the GPU is at 45c tops. Could you recommend a good liquid cooler? I just tested it and it seems to be the issue.

Last edited: