New Policy: No GRAPES

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Hey there all,

After some great deliberation, and due to some issues with discussions degrading and some severe in-fighting between long-standing users, Tom's is enacting a new policy rule regarding non-tech topics that inevitably devolve. Effective as of today, we'll be closing any new threads directly involved in the following subjects, as these do not belong on a site dedicated to tech support and hardware.

G. uns
• R. eligion
• A. bortion
• P. olitics
• E. conomics
• S. exuality

Please make note of this. Moderators will be closing existing threads dealing with these controversial, non-tech subjects, and will disallow any new threads with these subject matters as the primary topic. This policy affects the creation of new threads, and does not specifically govern responses. Provided a response is on-topic and germane to the discussion, it is permitted if it deals with GRAPES subjects.

Thank you for your attention.

Warm Regards,
Joe Pishgar
Senior Community Manager, Tom's Hardware

I guess this calls for careful crafting of the OP so that the thread can morph via on-topic, germane resposes.

Seriously, I can see that that is going to be very difficult to police. Why not just make it an outright ban on those subjects either in OP or response?

(And I take it that a topic on the economics of attacks on abortion clinics by gun-toting, gay, Republican, fundamentalist Christians would be out of the question? ;))

With all due respect Joe, If that's the case you should just close the section altogether, there's no other sections in the entire forums that has all these rules and policies, this door to these subjects should have never been opened in the first place!

I told you a long time ago, the relaxing of this section was not a good idea, as this is a technological website with no place for those subjects in the first place!

It sure took you long enough just to get to this point! :pfff:

As it was opening the door for another mini Other Section, which had been closed for very good reason a long, long, time ago!

For this one, I just have to say, I told you so! :) Ry

What about threads that are about politics or economics affecting the PC market?
For example, the government in my country was considering adding an extra fee to the price of all storage devices to make back some of the money that was lost due to piracy a few years ago. If a thread was made about that, would it be allowed?

Reynod

Administrator
Nope ... you would have to vent about that elsewhere.

We would instead encourage a thread about the intricacies of building a wooden enclosure for that storage device ... with some fine joinery work ... hand sanding ... the smell of the glue ... perhaps some lacquer ... the importance and placement of the rubber feet ... structural details etc.

We would want to stress that all enclosures are equal ... irrespective of the type and colour of the wood, the varnish or lacquer used ... that sort of thing.

If the enclosure believes in a god then that's great ... because they are wise enough not to discuss it here.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What happened to freedom of speech? These topics were enjoyable and very interesting also.It is boring all the time to talk about computers.We heard from various members comments and thoughts.Sad indeed.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
That is a dumb answer from you I am surprised really.Even private this was an unique topic to discuss.

Marv, there are lots of rules on these forums as to what can and can't be discussed.

Why can't I use "free speech" to discuss software piracy, to help people with their college work, to help people bypass passwords, etc.? Because the owners don't want their site to be used for such purposes. And they don't want to see it used to start arguments that have a tendency to turn personal.

Blame those who try to turn the site into a soapbox for their personal, extreme views; don't blame the owners for not wanting the tedium of such slanging matches.

Reynod

Administrator

Resorting to insults as usual marv ... just the sort of reason why this area got shut down ...

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Déplorable decision (my own and only point of view)

Why can't I use "free speech" to discuss software piracy, to help people with their college work, to help people bypass passwords, etc.? Because the owners don't want their site to be used for such purposes. And they don't want to see it used to start arguments that have a tendency to turn personal.
I hope you can see the difference between talking about News and promoting illegal activity.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I try to post various subjects but some you never post why?

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
There is no such thing as 'free speech'. You will always, ALWAYS pay for any utterance, be it written or spoken. If you doubt this, tell your wife/gf that that dress really does make her look fat.

That's my opinion, and opinions are like bungholes, everybody has one, but that doesn't mean ppl want to hear them. You can voice opinions all you want, to the back of the bathroom door, but it's up to the grownups (in this forum - moderators) to decide just exactly if the opinion is socially acceptable. Don't be surprised if the mods, just like grapes, decide that any topic or discussion is deemed too morally or socially unacceptable. You wouldn't tolerate an overactive bunghole in your house, the mods won't tolerate one in theirs.

And I can't blame them.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I applaud this decision and think it's come 3-5 years later than it should have, but nonetheless it's now in place as it should be for a technology focused website. This is my first time back in months, maybe even a year or more, and I originally took leave from here because of the mindless hate that was spewed all over 'News & Leisure.' Maybe now those with overtly prejudicial views can wander back to their propaganda news pits and post in their sludge piles known as the comments section rather than on a site dedicated to the advancement of technology. I've not heard better news today!

jarodatkinson

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Brilliant comments Joe. Eloquently said and totally correct under every sane metric. Great decision to safeguard people from harm. Sometimes as an individual, you don't realize reaching out with a comment or intended joke can literally impact on someone in real time elsewhere negatively....

jarodatkinson

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

I am pretty certain I'm right about everything, except for the rare times when I wasn't, which obviously I don't care to recall....

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS