New Port on Xbox One Controller Makes it Incompatible with Current Gaming Headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Two gens of happy XBOX use and now I'm starting to think this will be a third or fourth year purchase after release. Lots of hitches, few really compelling features.
Though, I will say, those of you putting your trust in Sony are likely going to be in for a big letdown as well.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
the new port resembles HDMI :)
Voice Comms, 5.1 and Undisclosed video stream coming through eh WiFi Direct Connection to the controller.

I know. I wouldn't expect Sony to offer anything better. Their answer to the Wii controllers and Kinect? Two ice cream cone shaped dildos. Wtf is that? They will offer the greatest potential with regard to the hardware this time around though. The hardware has historically determined who will rise to the top of the console ladder.

I just hope they won't shut off the Xbox live functionality on our 360s, though? I pretty much quit gaming on a console once I experienced the glory that is BFBC2 on PC with a GTX 580. I use my 360 for it's streaming functions now. That's about it. Browsing the web and streaming.

Really? Because no existing standard can possibly work? 3.5mm, 2.5mm, and USB ( mini or micro ) are all not good enough? Come on, MS, you said all your phones had to use micro-USB, why go proprietary on the XBox headset? I still use my old wired PS2 USB headset. Works on my PS3, computer, and just about anything else.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Dang. MS, stop killing yourself please, it's got BAD over the past few years. I used to think MS was the last hope for the industry and now they've sold out as well. It's a new era of CRAP on the consumer and corporate greed. F'm all.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
"Though, I will say, those of you putting your trust in Sony are likely going to be in for a big letdown as well." You are probably right, but at least with the PS3, I could use a USB sound card and get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm mic adapter and use my Xbox turtle beach headphones just fine. I love headphones. I can hear people creeping up on me better than a 5.1 surround sound system. I just don't want to have to replace my pricy headset.

macpeteo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
How is this a surprise?! Microshit has been trying to figure out ways to put it's hands in consumers pockets since it's inception!!
Everyone hates on Apple, but I tell you, they don't try to gouge you around every corner!

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
That's as Microsoft as it gets. Just like the $70 wifi adapter and the proprietary hard drives. I'd probably buy a 360 to play Forza but of course my Logitech steering wheel, which works with both the PS3 and PC, doesn't work with the 360.

aggie1295

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Are they just going out of their way to find ways to alienate consumers? Do they really think they will make enough extra money off of some of these licensing fee, et al, to make up for the number of people who will just say f you? Even if all of this stuff is just rumors, you couldn't create this much negative buzz if you tried. Between this and Windows 8, Microsoft sounds like they are trying to find ways to fail.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Wow, what a rip off. Does audio in and out really need a new port design, uh no. Unless, you're trying to screw people out of more money. Apple does that because they target the know nothing rich elitist, it kind of makes sense. This is not the same audience of the Xbox who value, value more and are generally savvy enough to know when they are getting screwed. Bad move Microsoft.

Right, this is nothing like redesigning the iPod housing shape every generation, changing the connector, or anything like that.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

More or less. Sony's performance last gen made me very wary of them, after the relatively hitch free PS2. First off, very expensive console out the gate and the moment they drop the price they get rid of backwards compatibility. After stripping the ability of the console to play old games, they re-release old games in HD - with few to no other updates, so you get to see muddy PS2 textures in HD - at a high cost. Now this gen Sony announces they are breaking the practice of selling the console at a loss in order to provide superior hardware...

Both Sony and MS did a number of things right that the other did wrong last gen. This gen, MS seems to be heading more in the direction of tremendous control and Sony I simply don't trust. I'll probably buy both consoles eventually but, the last gen I waited six years to buy a PS3 after the gong show it turned out to be, and there's a good chance I'll wait that long for both consoles this gen - assuming I'm even interested in consoles that far in the future. The idea of having one as a fairly cohesive media center appeals to me, and the level of integration of MS's console with Windows, the Windows phone, and Windows 8 tablets intrigues me, but simply put, I know my PC is a good focal point for all my devices right now. Do I really need an XBOX, with that being the case? I'm getting too old to really care if I miss a game or two, even ones I do find intriguing.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
So far, I haven't seen a single reason I SHOULD buy the XB1, and a plethora of reasons why I SHOULDN'T. Now that both MS and Sony have producer strategies that are incompatible with my consumer strategies, it looks like I'm going pure PC from here on out.

Unfortunately, these things are going to be so affordable for what you get, they're going to sell like hotcakes. There's a reason they take a loss on the hardware. They know they'll make it up in spades in software and service costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.