Question New power supply (not connected) with strange smell

Oct 27, 2021
Hi.

I just bought an Aerocool Advanced Technologies Cylon 700w Full Range 700w Black Power Supply.

I have not installed it yet, I have not even connected it to the electrical network. but when I take it out of the box and remove the nylon, I smell like burning ... I don't know if it will be normal in this type of model ...

I am afraid to connect it and that it is damaged and I burn something in the PC.

Is there a possibility to test it out of the box, before connecting it to the PC, to check if it works correctly?

Thank you in advance.

Hi.

I just bought an Aerocool Advanced Technologies Cylon 700w Full Range 700w Black Power Supply.

I have not installed it yet, I have not even connected it to the electrical network. but when I take it out of the box and remove the nylon, I smell like burning ... I don't know if it will be normal in this type of model ...

I am afraid to connect it and that it is damaged and I burn something in the PC.

Is there a possibility to test it out of the box, before connecting it to the PC, to check if it works correctly?

Thank you in advance.
Well, even though that is a terrible power supply and not something I would even set next to my case, never mind inside it, I can tell you that power supply smell is "normal". You have solder flux and transformer varnish. Both stink of burnt plastic. The smell should go away after a few hours of hard use (if it doesn't blow up first).

Reactions: Vilo
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks for your answer! I just plugged it into power and jumpered the contacts to turn it on. It lit up fine and the voltages seem to be correct.

How bad is the power supply?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS