[SOLVED] New power supply (not connected) with strange smell

Oct 27, 2021
Hi.

I just bought an Aerocool Advanced Technologies Cylon 700w Full Range 700w Black Power Supply.

I have not installed it yet, I have not even connected it to the electrical network. but when I take it out of the box and remove the nylon, I smell like burning ... I don't know if it will be normal in this type of model ...

I am afraid to connect it and that it is damaged and I burn something in the PC.

Is there a possibility to test it out of the box, before connecting it to the PC, to check if it works correctly?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Hi.

I just bought an Aerocool Advanced Technologies Cylon 700w Full Range 700w Black Power Supply.

I have not installed it yet, I have not even connected it to the electrical network. but when I take it out of the box and remove the nylon, I smell like burning ... I don't know if it will be normal in this type of model ...

I am afraid to connect it and that it is damaged and I burn something in the PC.

Is there a possibility to test it out of the box, before connecting it to the PC, to check if it works correctly?

Thank you in advance.

Well, even though that is a terrible power supply and not something I would even set next to my case, never mind inside it, I can tell you that power supply smell is "normal". You have...
Hi.

Thank you in advance.

Well, even though that is a terrible power supply and not something I would even set next to my case, never mind inside it, I can tell you that power supply smell is "normal". You have solder flux and transformer varnish. Both stink of burnt plastic. The smell should go away after a few hours of hard use (if it doesn't blow up first).

Reactions: Vilo
Solution
Oct 27, 2021
Thanks for your answer! I just plugged it into power and jumpered the contacts to turn it on. It lit up fine and the voltages seem to be correct.

How bad is the power supply?