New power supply, now case buttons don't work? SOLVED !

JJKerste

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Odd, my power supply died a couple of days ago. So yesterday I replaced it with a Corsair CX750.
After installation, the power switch did nothing. Tried flipping the switch on the power supply, still nothing. So I started perusing my mobo user guide. I have an Asus M5A99X.
I noticed that with the power supply switch in the "on" position, I had a green led lit on the mobo.
My mobo has a switch on the lower right hand corner that takes you straight to bios setup.
I hit the button, and presto ! it started and took me to setup where I verified my settings and restarted, (through bios). Windows 10 started fine, and I even played Battlegrounds for a couple of hours, everything was working great.
This morning, I woke the computer up, (it hadn't been shut down since installing the new p.s., just put in sleep mode.) I got a blue screen, which hadn't happened in months. It said gathering information, we will restart for you. Well if got to 100% but never restarted, so I tried to hit the reset button, nothing...tried power button, nothing. Took the side off the case and hit the direct key button, and it powered up and went to bios setup again.
I checked under power options to make sure the settings for what the power button does when pressed hadn't changed, no change.
It's a hell of a hassle to have to take the side off the case just to start the damn thing. Anyone have any ides?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So both On / Off button and Reset button did nothing? Check them both. As you do that, for each, one at a time, disconnect its connector from the mobo Panel header and plug it back in again, several times. It is possible that they were knocked loose, OR that there is a small accumulation of oxidation on the connectors, and this action can "scrub" them clean.

JJKerste

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Well, Occam's razor it is. Opened it back up, and I recalled this mobo came with a handy little adapter that let you plug the individual leads for the power button, power led and reset button into it, then the entire adapter fit perfectly onto the mobo.
It's in the extreme lower right corner of the mobo and it was still on, but not fully seated.
I love it when it turns out to be something simple.
P.S., I'm loving this Corsair CX750 power supply. Quiet, and modular so you only use the power leads that you need.