Question New power supply, what to choose?

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Hello, i want to buy a new Power Supply for my PC, and i need some advices.
My budget is NOT more than 80€ and i was opting to buy the Cooler Master MWE Gold 650w but maybe the Riotoro Enigma 650W could be a better choice.
My current system's specs:

System: Windows 10(64 bit )

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Memory: Viper 4 2x8 DDR4 3200MHz

Disk: ADATA SX900 ATA Device 64 GB SDD + Toshiba DT01ACA200 ATA Device 2000 GB HDD + SAMSUNG HD502HI ATA Device 500 GB HDD

Display adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780(3.00 GB)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M

(I'm going to buy a new GTX 1660 anytime soon)

What PSU should i buy?

Thanks to all!

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Actually some of the enigmas are pretty good. And the Onyx if you remove the funky fan. Great ripple and voltage regulation and pretty good build qualities for the price.

The Riotoro Enigma G2s are Seasonic FOCUS platforms.
As is the MWE Gold, but I also share the general same view around most cooler master PSUs!
I'm from Italy.
Why do you think that Cooler Masters' PSU are 'bad'? From what i know, Cooler Master is a great brand, am i wrong? :unsure:
Thanks for all the suggestions!

CoolerMaster has some good PSUs, however they have many, many poor models.

Here are poor reviews of 3 cooler master PSUS including a MWE Gold like you suggested above. All recommend to buy other units.

CM Masterwatt lite 600w 80+ concludes "Just buy something else"
CM Elite 400w review concludes "we can’t recommend it..."
CM MWE Gold 750w concludes "...the less than impressive component selection doesn’t instill much confidence in long-term durability. It definitely would not be my pick..." https://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm from Italy.
Why do you think that Cooler Masters' PSU are 'bad'? From what i know, Cooler Master is a great brand, am i wrong? :unsure:
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Great brand does not mean good quality - especially in power supplies. Cooler master make some excellent units, but also make a lot of poor quality power supplies.

Same as most companies - EVGA, thermal take etc.

The MWE Gold is decent. But for example the generic MWE is trash.

Its not that a "brand" is either "good or bad" it's about whether the specific models in their range are good and CM and EVGA for example, make a ton of trash, as well as some (less) excellent ones.

Regardless, they're all better than random unheard or no name brands!

I won't be able to lookup and get specific suggestions right now but perhaps someone might be able to in the meantime, if not I shall return tomorrow :)

Reactions: simo311

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Great brand does not mean good quality - especially in power supplies. Cooler master make some excellent units, but also make a lot of poor quality power supplies.

Same as most companies - EVGA, thermal take etc.

The MWE Gold is decent. But for example the generic MWE is trash.

Its not that a "brand" is either "good or bad" it's about whether the specific models in their range are good and CM and EVGA for example, make a ton of trash, as well as some (less) excellent ones.

Regardless, they're all better than random unheard or no name brands!

I won't be able to lookup and get specific suggestions right now but perhaps someone might be able to in the meantime, if not I shall return tomorrow :)
Ok, i'll wait, thanks :D

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My apologies my friend, this completely slipped my notice. Thank you for reminding me!

Based on current PCPP prices, undoubtedly best value is this:

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€90.39 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €90.39

And is an excellent PSU.

However you could run a 1660 on a good quality 550W easily, so taking that into account (in order of how I would choose them from top to bottom:

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€82.89 @ Alternate Italia)
Total: €82.89

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€92.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €92.90
(NO POINT IN THIS ONE AS THE RMX 650W IS THE SAME BUT HIGHER WATTAGE

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€80.81 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €80.81

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€74.90 @ Corsair)
Total: €74.90

You COULD consider the MWE Bronze as you've stated above, however based on the prices I've just seen, I would no question opt for one of the above instead as these are much better for either the same or only slightly more cost.

Reactions: simo311

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
My apologies my friend, this completely slipped my notice. Thank you for reminding me!

Based on current PCPP prices, undoubtedly best value is this:

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€90.39 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €90.39

And is an excellent PSU.

However you could run a 1660 on a good quality 550W easily, so taking that into account (in order of how I would choose them from top to bottom:

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€82.89 @ Alternate Italia)
Total: €82.89

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€92.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €92.90
(NO POINT IN THIS ONE AS THE RMX 650W IS THE SAME BUT HIGHER WATTAGE

Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€80.81 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €80.81

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€74.90 @ Corsair)
Total: €74.90

You COULD consider the MWE Bronze as you've stated above, however based on the prices I've just seen, I would no question opt for one of the above instead as these are much better for either the same or only slightly more cost.

Thank you a lot! This will help me to choose the right PSU ;)
One last question:
What's the difference between this the "Corsair TX650M, TX-M, Semi Modular, 80 Plus Gold EU, 650 watt" and "Corsair RM650x, full Modular, 80 Plus Gold, 650 Watt, EU, RMX" ????

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts