[SOLVED] New Power Supply

crowler366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Hi, I need help, my PSU is 7-8 years old and is starting to get loud, I want to replace it soon, I have 2 options (or if someone has something better for similar price): Corsair 550W CV550 or Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W. I live in a small country where everything is expensive so I can't really afford better. I have i5-10400F and rx 570, looking to upgrade to maybe rx 5600xt (or similar) when prices go down. Are any of these 2 PSU's are good?

Solution
Both of these are really low end psus.
They're about the same in terms of reliability

Meaning they won't explode, but they probably won't last too long either.

I'd tell you to try a cx550m from corsiar.
It's a much better psu and is usually not that much more expensive.

But if this is really the only option you have, the thermaltake is probably just a little better since it's 50 more watts and rgb, but actually how quality the psu is not amazing on either.

But if this is really the only option you have, the thermaltake is probably just a little better since it's 50 more watts and rgb, but actually how quality the psu is not amazing on either.

Solution

crowler366

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019

The 2 I mentioned are about 55€ where I live, CX550M is 87€, I don't know if its worth

I can add EVGA 600W BR, 80 PLUS Bronze, 100-BR-0600-K2, is it any better than the first 2?
About the same as the other two.

I personally think the 22 euros are worth it, since a powersupply is something you might take with you through multiple upgrade cycles, and you want it to last as long as possible.
Think of it as an investment.

Personally, I had a gut feeling power requirements would go much higher and I was right (intel 11th gen and rtx 3000...)
And I got myself a really good powersupply before they got expensive.

I have an HX850i from corsair. It was very expensive, but it will probably last me for years and years and years to come.

The CV and BR would be better than the thermal take in my opinion.

Honestly I would take the BR over the CV personally, because at least the BR has dc-dc where the CV 550 does not.

The CV is probably better in some ways though.

Both will work with an rx570, but both are lower end units so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
the thermaltake is probably just a little better since it's 50 more watts and rgb
Lol, that's how you sell stuff, @jonnyguru, just get a cheapest <Mod Edit> available, slap a cheapest RGB fan on it, do some funky calculations to turn a group regulated PSU with 500W on 12V rail into 600W one (or into 650W as in would've been the case with CV 550W), and people are sold.
I mean, they're both group regulated but if you're so limited in budget i'd rather get a HEC's relatively known platform, knowing that Corsair would at least make sure that it wouldn't pop right and left over whatever that Jiuzhou Yangguang's bottom of the barrel platform Thermaltake utilizes likely without evaluating it at all, grab it off the shelf, slap a RGB fan and Thermaltake label on it, done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Lol, that's how you sell stuff, @jonnyguru, just get a cheapest <Mod Edit> available, slap a cheapest RGB fan on it, do some funky calculations to turn a group regulated PSU with 500W on 12V rail into 600W one (or into 650W as in the case with CV 550W), and people are sold.
You also have to give it a 5 year warranty to have people think it is high quality and will last a long time.

TRENDING THREADS