Question New power supply

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 30, 2021
Hi my desktop computer won't start up or rather it goes to start then stops. So I am thinking the power supply is not working and needs to be replaced. But I am not sure what I should buy.
It has a Bestel ATX0300H5W with input 100-227v-8a. 50/60 hz and output 300w.
Are you able to help please??

Ok will do.
I am going to have a go myself.

OK;

Take your time. Maybe start a new thread if you get in a jam.

Might be a good idea to build it outside the case on a table top to confirm all the parts are in working order before assembling inside the case.

Windows; you might just be buying a Product Key. You'll have to go to Microsoft.com and use their "Media Creation Tool" to build an installer using your own USB flash drive of at least 8 GB capacity. You would then boot the PC from that flash drive to install Windows. That can be tricky, so be prepared to run into issues.

Thank you for your help.
I have ordered to components to build a new PC.
I just have one question do I install windows 10 or 11 please?
Avoid Windows 11 for now. Its still going through a lot of fine tuning. Windows 10 will be supported till 2025 and your hardware is Windows 11 ready to upgrade anytime.

No point in buying if you have 2 students at home...
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

You can also activate it later if you want. There is no performance or security penalty...

Make sure you only have the NVME attached during Windows installation. Do not attach any other drive, or Windows will not load if you ever detach the secondary drive. Attach any other drive after Windows installation is complete. When you attach the secondary drives, make sure to go to BIOS and give Boot priority to the Windows drive.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Not saying a new pc won't be better,performance wise it would be, but if you would need a new psu anyway could you just buy that now and test with it. If the pc wouldn't still start could you always look for a new pc/ build one (maybe if sons are old enough let them help).

Would myself for the price look at this one,
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-rog-strix-550g
think a better option than the included CXM in that build and not much more expensive.

Not really want to make a build contest out of this since that sometimes happens, but myself would look at something like this,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($359.00 @ PC Byte)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.00 @ PC Byte)
Storage: Kingston KC2500 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($63.00 @ BPC Technology)
Case: Aerocool AirHawk Duo ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.00 @ PLE Computers)
Total: $784.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-02 03:51 AEDT+1100

if rgb in case is abit much, it can be turned off. ;)

The seller of the motherboard can do a bios upate for you for $30AU. Which would be a wise investment. The other build also might need this so would include that into price anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021
Ok, so here is how to go about this based on your circumstance.

Since you do not have the means(substitutes) or knowledge to diagnose the issue, take it to a PC store nearby. Let them figure it out for you. If its a minor issue, you can get it fixed promptly. If your GPU is a relatively newer one see of it can be salvaged, since GPU prices are crazy right now. If its the same one that came along with the machine, then never mind. I believe the 2 x 2TB drives will come from the old rig.

Now, coming to your new PC. ROBLOX is a very old game and has a very modest hardware requirement as per todays standard...

System hardware requirements
  • Graphics Card: On PC/Windows, the Roblox application requires DirectX 10 or higher feature level support. For the best performance we recommend either a computer less than 5 years old with a dedicated video card, or a laptop less than 3 years old with an integrated video card.
  • Processor: Roblox recommends you have a recent processor (2005+) with a clock speed of 1.6 Ghz or better. There have been some issues with older AMD processors.
  • RAM or Memory: Roblox recommends you have at least 1 GB of memory on Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
  • Storage Space: Roblox recommends you have at least 20 Mb of system storage space to install Roblox.
  • Mobile: Click here for system requirements for Roblox Mobile.
https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us...mputer-Hardware-Operating-System-Requirements

The 5600G integrated VEGA 7 iGPU is one of the best in the current market and can easily run ROBLOX without a dedicated card. It also comes with a decent stock cooler that you can use for now...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amEILkG0HCI

If the GPU in the dead PC is good enough you can add it to this, else the iGPU is god enough for modest gaming...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $358.77 @ JW Computers
Motherboard | MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $148.77 @ JW Computers
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $79.00 @ PC Byte
Storage | Crucial P2 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $49.00 @ Amazon Australia
Case | Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.00 @ PLE Computers
Power Supply | Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $95.00 @ Scorptec
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $779.54
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-31 13:10 AEDT+1100 |

I would refrain from going with a prebuild as they usually cut costs with very low quality parts to get max profit. PC building is real easy if you just follow guides and tutorials, but if you are not confident, you can just pay a technician or store to assemble it for you for a modest fee. You will still end up with good quality parts for the build to last longer.
Hi was looking at a video on how to build a PC and I got to wondering if I would need a fans for cooling as I have ordered the parts in your list just waiting for them to arrive to start building.
Thank you

Hi was looking at a video on how to build a PC and I got to wondering if I would need a fans for cooling as I have ordered the parts in your list just waiting for them to arrive to start building.
Thank you

If you ordered the parts mentioned in post 18 in this thread, I assume you will be getting this case:

https://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2014-04/9_824.shtml

According to the specifications at the above link, it includes ONLY an exhaust fan. It has mounts for other fans, but you'd have to buy them.

The AMD processor does include its own cooler and fan.

I'm unfamiliar with the case; you may be able to get by without a front intake fan, but I'd be doubtful.

Dec 30, 2021
If you ordered the parts mentioned in post 18 in this thread, I assume you will be getting this case:

According to the specifications at the above link, it includes ONLY an exhaust fan. It has mounts for other fans, but you'd have to buy them.

I'm unfamiliar with the case; you may be able to get by without a front intake fan, but I'd be doubtful.
Ok thanks

Dec 30, 2021

Yes I did order that case and the parts mentioned. So I will need to get some fans is that right??? Thank you

Yes I did order that case and the parts mentioned. So I will need to get some fans is that right??? Thank you

Most would tell you yes.

It remains to be seen, after your temperatures without any more fans are known.

All depends on your case, ambient temperatures, work load, your anxiety level, effectiveness of the exhaust fan and the included CPU cooler, etc.

Install an application like HWInfo64 to monitor temperatures.

Some people are hyper-conscious about temps. Others not so much.

You can always buy the fan later if you think you need one.

Thank you
Yes, I would buy 2 additional fans to give the right direction to the airflow. While deciding fan mounts always remember that hot air goes up. So, it would be wise to install one front intake and one top exhaust. That will intake fresh air from the front and exhaust through rear and top...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Case Fan | Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP 87.6 CFM 120 mm Fan | $19.00 @ PCCaseGear
Case Fan | Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP 87.6 CFM 120 mm Fan | $19.00 @ PCCaseGear
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $38.00
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-09 20:34 AEDT+1100 |

Dec 30, 2021
Most would tell you yes.

It remains to be seen, after your temperatures without any more fans are known.

All depends on your case, ambient temperatures, work load, your anxiety level, effectiveness of the exhaust fan and the included CPU cooler, etc.

Install an application like HWInfo64 to monitor temperatures.

Some people are hyper-conscious about temps. Others not so much.

You can always buy the fan later if you think you need one.
Thank you

Sorry to be a pain but I am building my PC and was wondering if I connect the fan plug from the fan that came with the case to one of sys fan pins on the motherboard if so does it matter which one please?
Nope, the priority should be to accommodate/connect all the fans within the available slots on the board. You can use splitters in case you run out of slots. Google it if you are not sure.

Note: Read the motherboard manual cover to cover. Ideally they contain answers to every possible question you might have.

Dec 30, 2021
Nope, the priority should be to accommodate/connect all the fans within the available slots on the board. You can use splitters in case you run out of slots. Google it if you are not sure.

Note: Read the motherboard manual cover to cover. Ideally they contain answers to every possible question you might have.
Thank you for your help

Reactions: Hellfire13
Dec 30, 2021
Hi I am going to ask here because I am not sure what category it should be under.
My new computer has been going well but just now it made a loud pop sound and has gone off and it won't restart. What could it be please? Very worried.