[SOLVED] New powerful PC build, occasional CPU spike and lag

Mar 7, 2019
Hi all,

I upgraded my 3 year old PC 2 months ago, replacing my i5-4590 to a Ryzen 3800x. I also changed motherboards from a ASRock H97 Anniversary to a Gigabyte Aorus x570 elite.

Every once in a while, maybe like once every week or 2 weeks my PC would become awfuly slow. Everything would become laggy. Even moving the cursor or typing. The issue resolves itself when I force restart the PC. If I try to turn off the PC the proper way while it has this issue going on, the CPU/fan will continue to stay working, even though the case off had turned off at that point.

I checked task manager and I noticed that for the first few seconds it shows that the CPU is at ~50% during idle. Then after a few seconds, goes back down to 1%-2%. But the lag returns once I close the task manager, and reopen (shows the 50%)

What is the cause of this issue?

Thanks!

Solution
First of all did you reinstall Windows after you upgraded the CPU and Motherboard?

If you did not I would recommend you do a clean install of your OS. Keeping the same OS after a motherboard/CPU change will give you issues.

Can we have the rest of your specs? The RAM? PSU? Full system specs please.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Is it a ssd or a hard drive? Hard drives can make everything super laggy if it’s trying to load something. And the cpu fan not turning off is likely because the computer is not fully off yet sometimes it can take a very long time if it’s trying to close a program or something.

Mar 7, 2019
Is it a ssd or a hard drive? Hard drives can make everything super laggy if it’s trying to load something. And the cpu fan not turning off is likely because the computer is not fully off yet sometimes it can take a very long time if it’s trying to close a program or something.

I have a SSD and a HDD. I have windows installed on the SSD and use it for my usual go to programs. The HDD is only there because I already had one. I use it for storage...photos, games I don't play often etc.

It it possible it's a ram issue? Because on idle memory usage was 25% . The only notable program was Discord, which was running in the background.

I never had these issues on my weaker previous computer. I had the same SSD and HDD installed on it.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
25% is normal for 16gb of ram idk how much you have but all in all something sounds wrong like a driver not properly installed or maybe windows messed itself up during install