[SOLVED] New Powerline Adapter causing "lag spikes"

Oct 20, 2020
My PC doesn't have WiFi, so I have been using a powerline adapter to be able to access the internet on my computer since it is in a different room than my router. The powerline adapter I was using is old (85mbps), so the speeds I was getting were quite slow. It was fine for gaming and normal internet use, but it would take forever to download anything (such as updates for games). So I decided to buy a new Powerline Adapter since I heard this could help. I ended up buying the D-Link PowerLine AV2 1000 Gigabit Starter Kit. It has helped a lot with the download speed, but now when I play games, I get random lag/ping spikes and it happens a lot. This never happened before I switched to the new Powerline adapter. Both adapters are plugged directly into the wall. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Solution
Those new units should have less trouble than the older ones. If it really is the powerline units it is likely something in your house interfering. Things with motors tend to be the worst offenders.

Try to leave a constant ping run to your router IP. See if you see issues at the same time you see the lag. It could be you have a internet problem that started around the same time you got the new powerline.
Those new units should have less trouble than the older ones. If it really is the powerline units it is likely something in your house interfering. Things with motors tend to be the worst offenders.

Try to leave a constant ping run to your router IP. See if you see issues at the same time you see the lag. It could be you have a internet problem that started around the same time you got the new powerline.

Solution
Oct 20, 2020
I hate to say this, but try the 1200 or 2000 units instead as they perform even better and may have sorted this issue out from the 1000 units.

Also, do you only have these units plugged in now? Or are the old units still plugged in somewhere?
I would try the 1200 or 2000 ones but they are almost double the price.
And yes, I only have those units plugged in now. I swapped them out with the old ones

Oct 20, 2020

thanks for the help. It stopped happening now for some reason

Reactions: SamirD