[SOLVED] New powerline ethernet slower

Apr 24, 2021
So I just got my powerline ethernet today in the mail and i set it up and i am pretty disappointed as my speeds are this
Powerline: 7 down 12 up
Regular Wireless: 50 down 12 up
Im just wondering if i should return my powerline ethernet

Solution
It almost always is the house wires. The newest version of powerline called av2-1000 or av2-2000 work better on poor wires because they also use the ground wire and use a better encoding.

Those particular units really bug me. tplink just changed the name of the av500 units when the av2-600 standard came out. They intentionally try to confuse people into thinking that these are the newer units when all they did was change the name they did not even change the part number. Then again the av2-1000 units are the same kind of crap. These units are based on the powerplug av2-600 standard. They started calling them av2-1000 when a different kind of powerline units not based on powerplug came out called their units 1000.

Still...
Apr 24, 2021
It almost always is the house wires. The newest version of powerline called av2-1000 or av2-2000 work better on poor wires because they also use the ground wire and use a better encoding.

Those particular units really bug me. tplink just changed the name of the av500 units when the av2-600 standard came out. They intentionally try to confuse people into thinking that these are the newer units when all they did was change the name they did not even change the part number. Then again the av2-1000 units are the same kind of crap. These units are based on the powerplug av2-600 standard. They started calling them av2-1000 when a different kind of powerline units not based on powerplug came out called their units 1000.

Still before you go buy better powerline units you might want to consider MoCA if you have tv coax cable in both rooms. The newer moca units can actually get full gigabit speeds over the coax cables for most people.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
If it works at normal speeds only while a 220v appliance like an electric dryer or heater is operating, then the units are plugged into separate 110v legs (generally residential panels are supplied with two out-of-phase 110v which combine into one 220v). They should be moved so that both are on the same one, or something called a "phase coupler" can be installed to allow signals to cross over.

If you think about it, it's kind of mind-boggling that they can sometimes work at all on different split-phase legs because the signal would have to travel through a running 110v appliance, through ground and then another running 110v appliance on the other leg. Or go through the neighborhood to the pole-mounted transformer, in which case signals from the neighbors' Powerline adapters or million-amp arc welder could interfere.

If it works at normal speeds only while a 220v appliance like an electric dryer or heater is operating, then the units are plugged into separate 110v legs (generally residential panels are supplied with two out-of-phase 110v which combine into one 220v). They should be moved so that both are on the same one, or something called a "phase coupler" can be installed to allow signals to cross over.

If you think about it, it's kind of mind-boggling that they can sometimes work at all on different split-phase legs because the signal would have to travel through a running 110v appliance, through ground and then another running 110v appliance on the other leg. Or go through the neighborhood to the pole-mounted transformer, in which case signals from the neighbors' Powerline adapters or million-amp arc welder could interfere.
And the newest models work a lot better without needing to mess with the wiring.