Question New Powersupply- Keyboard randomly turns off, boots 2x as slow

Kvp311

Reputable
Jun 22, 2019
Hi. I recently upgraded my PSU to a Full Modular Seasonic Gx650, and I have been having problems ever since. My computer will now take twice as long to load, as I upgraded to an RTX2080. The PC will whirr up, then seemingly shut down and boot again, this time booting fully. Then, at random times, my mouse will jag itself to the side and my keyboard will stop responding. The mouse is connected to the keyboard, and works fine, but the keyboard does not type. The LEDs stay fully lit. The only fix is either unplugging the keyboard or restarting the PC, but its a huge pain and often only fixes it for a few minutes. The keyboard is a Steelseries Apex 350 64470.
Please help :(

@Kvp311
Do you still have the old power supply? First thing I would do it reinstall the old power supply and see if your symptoms go away. If they do, then clearly there is an issue with the Gx650 and you should RMA it. If not, then I worry that you may have damaged something when you installed the Gx650.

** One other quick thought ... is 24 pin MB power connector all the way in ... also the 8 pin CPU power connector.

Hi. I recently upgraded my PSU to a Full Modular Seasonic Gx650, and I have been having problems ever since. My computer will now take twice as long to load, as I upgraded to an RTX2080. The PC will whirr up, then seemingly shut down and boot again, this time booting fully. Then, at random times, my mouse will jag itself to the side and my keyboard will stop responding. The mouse is connected to the keyboard, and works fine, but the keyboard does not type. The LEDs stay fully lit. The only fix is either unplugging the keyboard or restarting the PC, but its a huge pain and often only fixes it for a few minutes. The keyboard is a Steelseries Apex 350 64470.
Please help :(

Are you "cold booting" the PC when this happens? e.g.: Are you flipping the power switch on the back of the PSU off and then turning it on and then this behavior happens, or does it do this whenever you press the power button on the front of the case, even after the PSU has been "on" and in standby mode the whole time?

What motherboard do you have?

Kvp311

Reputable
Jun 22, 2019
Are you "cold booting" the PC when this happens? e.g.: Are you flipping the power switch on the back of the PSU off and then turning it on and then this behavior happens, or does it do this whenever you press the power button on the front of the case, even after the PSU has been "on" and in standby mode the whole time?

What motherboard do you have?
I dont push any switch on the back, just the power button. The MB I use is a B450 Tomahawk. Thank you for your time!

Kvp311

Reputable
Jun 22, 2019
@Kvp311
Do you still have the old power supply? First thing I would do it reinstall the old power supply and see if your symptoms go away. If they do, then clearly there is an issue with the Gx650 and you should RMA it. If not, then I worry that you may have damaged something when you installed the Gx650.

** One other quick thought ... is 24 pin MB power connector all the way in ... also the 8 pin CPU power connector.
Sadly my old PSU cant handle the RTX 2080. I cant really reinstall it.

Kvp311

Reputable
Jun 22, 2019
Hello! I tried to check BIOS, but the setting was already set to disabled. To further my situation, I randomly got a bluescreen which read "system service exception ntfs.sys" :(

Hello! I tried to check BIOS, but the setting was already set to disabled. To further my situation, I randomly got a bluescreen which read "system service exception ntfs.sys" :(
I think step one is to get your power supply tested some how. I have a small stack of them in my closet, so I would just replace it. You may need to take it to a computer shop or ?? . The issues you have (USB and storage) both run on the 5 V rail of the power supply and I wonder if that's the issue. Many BIOS will report voltage in a computer health or similar section. You could look at that too ... but that does not help if the issue only occurs when the power supply is under load.