[SOLVED] New prebuilt. Strange issue with power.

Justin4pack

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I bought a new prebuilt from bestbuy for my wife. Cyberpower pc with a Ryzen 5 5600, rx6600xt and a 600w EVGA gold PS is in it.
Now I'm not sure if this is some kind of windows 11 thing or I have 2 back to back lemons from bestbuy.

First one would shut off during gaming. The graphics would flicker and it would reboot itself. Pretty reasonable to think it's got something going on so I returned it.

The new one, exact same model does this weird thing we're if I shut my monitor off the computer restarts. Not a safe restart either I'm getting kernal power 41 in event viewer.

I have checked all drivers, defaulted the bios, changed outlets and power cables. Everytime it does the same thing. If I set the monitor to go to sleep after 1 minute or 20 minutes same thing. As soon as the monitor is off the computer restarts.

Solution
Yes, considering that these are CyberpowerPC builds, it IS entirely possible that you got two lemons in a row. Especially considering you've already eliminated several of the more plausible culprits in the changing of outlets and power cables. CyberpowerPC is well known for this kind of low build and assembly quality BS.

Before fully convicting though, although you've mentioned the outlets and cables, you did not mention whether a power strip (that was common, in that it was used in all scenarios) was used for each of these attempted resolutions? I've definitely seen this sort of weirdness happen a few times due to poor quality or just plain old and worn out power strips. Not saying that that IS the problem, but I'd definitely want to...
Yes, considering that these are CyberpowerPC builds, it IS entirely possible that you got two lemons in a row. Especially considering you've already eliminated several of the more plausible culprits in the changing of outlets and power cables. CyberpowerPC is well known for this kind of low build and assembly quality BS.

Before fully convicting though, although you've mentioned the outlets and cables, you did not mention whether a power strip (that was common, in that it was used in all scenarios) was used for each of these attempted resolutions? I've definitely seen this sort of weirdness happen a few times due to poor quality or just plain old and worn out power strips. Not saying that that IS the problem, but I'd definitely want to try and eliminate that and ONLY plug the monitor and power supply into the actual socket outlets themselves.

If you've done all that, then I'd say it's a pretty good bet that it's simply two bad units. And make sure that they give you and entirely new monitor if the monitor was part of the deal because this could be either the PC itself or the display. Did they replace the display for you the first time?

Solution

Justin4pack

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Before fully convicting though, although you've mentioned the outlets and cables, you did not mention whether a power strip (that was common, in that it was used in all scenarios) was used for each of these attempted resolutions? I've definitely seen this sort of weirdness happen a few times due to poor quality or just plain old and worn out power strips. Not saying that that IS the problem, but I'd definitely want to try and eliminate that and ONLY plug the monitor and power supply into the actual socket outlets themselves.

If you've done all that, then I'd say it's a pretty good bet that it's simply two bad units. And make sure that they give you and entirely new monitor if the monitor was part of the deal because this could be either the PC itself or the display. Did they replace the display for you the first time?
Appreciate the response, When changing power outlets, I moved the computer directly to the socket on the wall not using any power strip. The monitor is still plugged into the power strip but I have had this monitor for around a year and had no issues with it with previous computers that have used it. I highly doubt the monitor is the issue, but I have another monitor I can hook up to and see if it replicates the issue. Strange, I have purchased (4) cyber power PC computers in the last 2 years for family members and did not have issues with any of them. So to have 2 lemons in a row was just mind-boggling.

Try the other monitor. A failing display can absolutely cause problems with a variety of natures.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of examples out there of products that worked fine for some people and for other people they caught fire or blew up. Think hoverboards as just one example. I assure you, we have a running thread outlining the very common and real issue of low quality and poor assembly practices from CyberpowerPC and iBuypowerPC. It's not isolated at all.

Also, try eliminating the power strip COMPLETELY from the equation. I'd also probably try a different display cable from each monitor to the PC as well.