New processor(AMD FX) to not bottleneck 950SSC as much

TheTechNoob1929

Commendable
Mar 6, 2016
Hello! I am interested in a new CPU. I currently have a FX-6300 and it bottlenecks my GPU a lot it seems. Can anyone recommend me a new CPU that doesn't bottleneck the 950SSC as much as the FX-6300? Thanks!

Solution
You will get little benefit from a FX8350 or such.
Your problem is that FX cores are slow, and adding more of them will not usually help.
Most games can use only 2-3 threads effectively.
Test this with YOUR games.
Experiment with removing one or more cores. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
Time to save up for a modern kaby lake or ryzen processor.
Even , a $65 G4560 will usually do better than your FX-6300

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
you will be better off either going to Ryzen, or intel. The 6300 is very capable of keeping up with that GPU in general, but in CPU intensive games, none of the FX processors are going to be a big improvement over it. What you can do is buy a decent cooler and overclock it. That will definitely improve the experience.

In the FX line, the 6300 is not that much slower in gaming than the faster CPUs, so there's no real benefit to upgrading that CPU.

Whether it bottlenecks the 950 is not the important part, the important part is what framerate are you getting? What framerate do you want? If you are getting what you want and need, then it doesn't matter if it's bottlenecked. If you are not getting what you need and want, then we'd need to know more, like specific games you play and framerates you get, to suggest what you can do to get there.

You will get little benefit from a FX8350 or such.
Your problem is that FX cores are slow, and adding more of them will not usually help.
Most games can use only 2-3 threads effectively.
Test this with YOUR games.
Experiment with removing one or more cores. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
Time to save up for a modern kaby lake or ryzen processor.
Even , a $65 G4560 will usually do better than your FX-6300

Solution