new processor need answer quick

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
hey guys i posted on a few other forums like memory and stuff about my computer problems. well im out of options to try to figure out whats wrong so im going to pick up a new powersupply tomorow and a processor/mb in case that doesnt work

my current systems a p4 2.8ghz with hyperthreading, and an asus p4p800 motherboard. ive been outa the loop for just under a year on all this new stuff out so just wanted to know what you guys would recomend i grab. i dont wanna spend a ridiculous amount bu thteres no point in buying the same thing i have now

i wanted to stick with intel because i had bad experiences with AMD in the past. i was looking at something like the p 4 560 but i saw a guide here about how the 500 line is prone to overheating. i certainly dont want that. would it be better to get a regular pentium 4, the 3.4 or whatever the non 500 line is? also whats a good brand of motherboard i should gofor? i dont want an asus again. i heard abits pretty good

could use opinions fast because i'll be picking this stuff up tomorow morning most likely. id like to go for a 500 line but the heat thing concerns me. are theey really that much better than the 478 socket chipset?

id be open to maybe getting an AMD if they have turned around in quality (t bird 1.4 was last amd i had) and if a mb could be recomended. btw the ram i got righ tnow is kingston dual channel DDR400 stuff, a gig of it

tnx in advance

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
my current systems a p4 2.8ghz with hyperthreading, and an asus p4p800 motherboard. ive been outa the loop for just under a year on all this new stuff out so just wanted to know what you guys would recomend i grab. i dont wanna spend a ridiculous amount bu thteres no point in buying the same thing i have now
Wow. Why would you need to upgrade from that? I'm running a P4 NWC 2.6GHz on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe and it's been nothing short of superb. Even now I'm still doing great with Half Life 2.

i was looking at something like the p 4 560 but i saw a guide here about how the 500 line is prone to overheating.
Any Prescott core from Intel is heat prone. :\ So much for newer being better. That aside, a good choice in cooling should prevent it from throttling.

would it be better to get a regular pentium 4, the 3.4 or whatever the non 500 line is?
The best Northwood C that I know of is 3.2GHz, still on Socket 478. The real question is would going from 2.8GHz to 3.2GHz really be worth the money? I highly doubt it. If for some reason you really feel a need to upgrade, you might as well spend a fortune on the absolute latest and greatest instead of holding yourself back.

also whats a good brand of motherboard i should gofor? i dont want an asus again. i heard abits pretty good
Actually, I've never had a better experience with any company than I have with Asus. But if for some reason you want to avoid one of the best companies out there, then Abit is good. Abit is typically cheaper, so you get more 'bang for your buck'. (I think I'm starting to hate that phrase.) Abit has had a modicum of their own quality issues though. Gygabyte is supposedly good. Some people even swear by Albatron and Asrock. Of course some people also swear by MSI, but my experience has been that MSI's quality control is a crap shoot. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. There are, of course, a million other manufacturers, but unless I've missed someone, they generally start to get down to medium or lower quality around there. Well, except for Intel. Intel's motherboards are usually excellent quality, but run slow and lack a lot of tinkering features.

id be open to maybe getting an AMD if they have turned around in quality (t bird 1.4 was last amd i had) and if a mb could be recomended.
I know that I'd definately suggest AMD over Intel for top of the line right now. My experience with AMD's quality once they started the Athlon line has been pretty good. I still don't like the stock cooler section of AMD's retail warranty though.

oh ya, also if a MB says it supports DDR2 can it still run DDR? un assuming yes but im not sure
I haven't messed with DDR2 yet myself, but to my knowledge, no. I don't beleve that a DDR2 board can run DDR sticks.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your rig sounds exceptional to me.
I have to agree.

If you're complaining it being slow in game, its because your graphics card might be outdated.
Or because of RAM problems/settings.

Even my 9800SE->Pro is getting pretty outdated and slow in games like Doom3&HL-2.
I'm running HL2 with some pretty nice video settings using an GeForce4 Ti 4200. Sure, I only have DX8 effects (being a DX8 card), but it still looks pretty sweet and hasn't given me any lag. :\ Why is it running slow for you?

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

Why do you need to upgrade your CPU and mobo? I'm using 2.4C since July of 03. Save your money until 06. Dual core CPUS in 2nd half of 05. 64 bit should be going full bore. If Micro$ gets their new OS out by then {06}

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They were making some 915 chipset boards that could run either DDR or DDR2 earlier this summer. You could use one or the other but not both. I think an upgrade to a Prescott is silly at this point. I wouldn't trade mine for anything less than an Nforce4 mb with 3500+ or better. And I'm fairly fast!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
well im not upgrading for the sake of upgrading. im upgrading because my computer is fubar. ive tried the ram, and hd and thats not the problem so im gonna go buy a new Powersupply and if htat doesn't work i'll put a new MB/processor in it i guess

heres the link to my problem.. basically upgraded situation is im down to those 2 things.. any other sugestions on what it could be would be great but im gonna try it today so answers would need to be quick =P i guess i'll go for AMD.. nforce mb then i guess?

heres the link to my problem if anyones got an idea

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=108962#108962

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like power supply problems to me. :\ It really could be anything though. Have you flashed your BIOS to the latest version? Have you tried checking your voltages in BOIS? Have you adjusted the timings on your RAM?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=108962#108962" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=108962#108962</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
update again.. i put a new powersupply and still no dice. cant get the os even installed it gets up to where it installs drivers and networking stuff then reboots

ungh. gonna get a amd 64 4000+ and a mb.. which one do you guys recomend other than the asus nforce thing

i havent updated my bios because i have no idea how to boot into dos, the instructions on the website say to make a boot disk and thers no boot disk for win 2k pro

endyen

Splendid
In win2k, i think you can make a bootable disk in the options to format.
As far as s939 boards go, get nforce3 250 ultra. Personal preference would be one of the gigabyte boards.

endyen

Splendid
SLI boards are all sold out in NA. (he doesn't like asus anyhow)
I think the Abit board will be a K8N.
Not to worry about the s939 3000, they are only 90 nano, no 130 ver. Same for the s939 3200. It's only the 3500+ that comes in bothe.

pat

Expert
I would rather get a 754 3000+ or 3400+. they cost less and sometime perform better than their 939 counterpart (3500+ for 3400+). You'll have far more choice for motherboard too.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

endyen

Splendid
Ya, but the best mobo to get then would be by Asus, and he already said he doesn't want another asus board. Actually, I haven't had a go with one of the new abit boards, they look like a nice choice <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-190&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-190&depa=0</A>

pat

Expert
No. if he dont need firewire onboard, the best mobo to get is the Soltek k8an2e-gr. I have one and that the best one I've got/use so far. And very affordable. It is at newegg

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
hey guys ordered from newegg the other day. got an amd 64 4000+

and for the mb i got the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. i was gonna get the gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP, but the dual bios thing seemed a bit odd, and mainly the spacing of the mem slots seemed way too close for me so i went with the MSI. are they any good? hrm.. looks like i got the .13 micron.. but newegg doesn't have any 4000+ on the 90mm. are they avalible in the 4000+s? does it make that much of a difference?

this stuff should arive mon or tues probably, i hope this works its basically the last thing i can think could be bad

pentak

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2004
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q294728/" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q294728/</A>

It says you have a backdoor virus. I had the same problem before but mine turned out to be a combination of the power supply and driver error for the soundcard. I switched PSU and updated the drivers and my computer's been a happy camper till this day.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
nope, newegg didn't have any 90nm socket 939 4000+ chips.. do they even make them? and again, is it really that important? what does a smaller process really do?

virus eh? i did have a virus a while back that took a long time to get rid of.. scanning my computer didn't come up with anything before i tried the other stuff.. still how could i have a virus with a fresh HD with no data on it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, that's a hopeless situation. You should have simply taken the whole system to a shop and had it fixed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dthayer

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Why would one pay ~50 more for a 90nm processor? What's the real difference between the two aside from latest and greatest? Just OC potential?