Question New PSU and case, PSU noisy as hell and PC seems to be slower than usual ald also now getting memory errors!!! Help appreciated!!!

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
As the above, a very little used Mobo CPU and RAM (Gigabyte mobo, AMD FM2+ APU) has been transplanted into a new case with a new Corsair PSU and GTX1050Ti. Windows 10 freshly installed on an SSD. I have not changed the RAM( 2x 4gb DDR3) Occupying both DIMM modules on the motherboard. Had ZERO issues with last build, only reason I upgraded the 300w seasonic PSU was to allow headroom for the GPU.... The PSU after about half an hour of being switched on sounds like a dozen fridges buzzing......and system seems laggy and also got a "memory error-contact manufacturer" message from windows 10.... SO.....

I have ran memtest 64 on with both sticks installed, there were 7 errors after 4 passes.......i.e problems!

Oddly, when I run either stick A or stick B alone ( will be in single channel mode albeit) I get no errors on memtest at all! I.e the DIMM channels on the mobo appear to be fine and it is not clear whether stick A or stick B is causing the problem. ......NOW here is where things get interesting ...i checked the serials on each supposedly "paired" stick of RAM and stick A and stick B seem to have similar but NOT THE SAME serial numbers. ! Have amazon/manufacturer made a Booboo here by giving me two sticks of RAM that are not "paired" ??? Have I answered my own question? OR is it possible that the noise from PSU is a definite sign it is not doing its job and creating memory errors??? These two sticks seemed to run fine in the same mobo before i changed the PSU and added the GPU.....

Many thanks in advance guys!

haug_peyton

Proper
Sep 25, 2018
I has a similar problem, when you get a better more powerful PSU there is more that can go wrong with it out of the box. When I put my new PSU in it fried 3 ssd's and a cpu, so if I were you I would refund that PSU and get a new one.

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
I has a similar problem, when you get a better more powerful PSU there is more that can go wrong with it out of the box. When I put my new PSU in it fried 3 ssd's and a cpu, so if I were you I would refund that PSU and get a new one.
Thanks for your input. The PSU has been replaced and system seems similar actually BUT I ran Memtest 86 and its throwing up loads of errors still with this RAM, the two modules are also showing up as running with different timings in the BIOS. I was under the impression that if you had 2 sticks of , RAM, one slightly faster than the other (like my two) that the BIOS would underclock the faster stick to that of the slower stick and that there would be no issues with timing or its performance. I know this ....I have two sticks of RAM with different serial numbers (thanks to Amazon) and they are running at different timings as shown in BIOS ...and memtest 86 is fining loads of errors, even when running one pass ( 1/2 hour roughly) ......Can anyone clarify that my hunch is right and that there is a compatibility issue with these two sticks of RAM? ????????? I repeat that I ran Memtest 86 with both sticks of RAM separated i.e independently in both channels in the motherboard...NO ERRORS on either stick in either channel....only when they are together!

Please see the RAM and the serial numbers here, they are similar....but not the same.
stick one= HX316C10FW/4
stick two=HX318C10FW/4

TRENDING THREADS