Question New PSU and its horrendous coil whine ?

Jan 31, 2023
I recently started building a new gaming/workstation pc.

My first PSU I installed was a MSI MEG Ai1000P PCIE5 1000 W, I am currently missing RAM, DRIVES, Video Card.
I basically hooked up all the power connections and fans (I did this to just test the fans/rgbs to make sure everything was working.)
The sound was loud and could be hear from all around the case. Here is a video with sound Youtube Clip.
After such noise I decided to return it and get a Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W and low and behold it has the same noise but a different tone/pitch.

I decided to try something and I unplugged everything besides the 24pin at the psu and used the jumped trick to test it, and when I did this the fan turned on and it was quiet.
Couldn't hear a thing, had to get a light due to not being able to hear the fan to make sure it was on. I didn't get to try this with the first PSU but is this noise thats coming from
the PSU due to it not starting up correctly or with the rest of the parts? The fan wasn't spinning on either PSU when it was all plugged in.

Specs:
z790 Aorus Master
z73 Kraken
Lian Li O11D Evo
Thermaltake GF3 1200W

Could the PSU making this noise come from the fans not spinning while its trying to post?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I think coil whine 99% of the time is one of the most over rated things on the internet and this forum.

Can you hear that from your sitting position?

I been building computers for a good while and actually never had any coil whine I could hear from my chair that I have ever noticed.

Jan 31, 2023
I think coil whine 99% of the time is one of the most over rated things on the internet and this forum.

Can you hear that from your sitting position?

I been building computers for a good while and actually never had any coil whine I could hear from my chair that I have ever noticed.

did you listen to the video by chance? I can hear it from adjacent rooms it’s so loud.

Jan 31, 2023
I did , that is is why I put 99% of the time.

If it bothers you can can use RMA it.

live already replaced them and they all make the noise. But they don’t make the noise if I’m jumping it from the 24pin.

just trying to figure out if it’s only doing it because the fans are not spinning and once it actually boots up with a load if it will go away. RMA is useless since they all do it.