[SOLVED] New PSU and now my HDMI port won't work ?

Jun 22, 2021
Hi! I recently bought a new psu because my old one was causing problems. Once I installed the new PSU I noticed that the non-modular side with all the cables fused hard-wired into the PSU didn't include a pcie cable to connect to my graphics card. I instead used one of the modular pcie cables on the PSU to add an external cable to power my gpu. Once I turned it on my computer ran just fine, but there would be no input to the screen. It would just be completely black as if the computer was off. I tried connecting the hdmi cable to another port on my GPU, but nothing changed. I am planning to get an adapter that lets me split one of the non-modular cables to see if that would help.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Solution
Once I turned it on my computer ran just fine, but there would be no input to the screen.
How do you know that your PC is "running fine" when you have no output? Unless you can hear the OS' startup sounds, remote-login into the PC or at least ping it over the LAN, the only thing you know is that it is staying on. If you have a motherboard speaker plugged in or the motherboard has diagnostic LEDs, those may tell you that your "running fine" PC is actually stuck somewhere in the boot process or even not making it to the initial POST beep as an initial sign of life.

Get a PSU with the proper connections For your graphics card to work properly.
He is using a semi-modular PSU and it looks like he is using "proper connections" in...

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Weird issue and probably exhausting to troubleshoot. My suggestion would be to return the PSU and get another one. There should be a HDMI port on your mainboard (if you are using a Intel CPU (non-F version))

InvalidError

Titan
Once I turned it on my computer ran just fine, but there would be no input to the screen.
How do you know that your PC is "running fine" when you have no output? Unless you can hear the OS' startup sounds, remote-login into the PC or at least ping it over the LAN, the only thing you know is that it is staying on. If you have a motherboard speaker plugged in or the motherboard has diagnostic LEDs, those may tell you that your "running fine" PC is actually stuck somewhere in the boot process or even not making it to the initial POST beep as an initial sign of life.

Get a PSU with the proper connections For your graphics card to work properly.
He is using a semi-modular PSU and it looks like he is using "proper connections" in the form of a modular cable for PCIe due to not having hard-wired PCIe, as is customary for semi-modular PSUs.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

He is using a semi-modular PSU and it looks like he is using "proper connections" in the form of a modular cable for PCIe due to not having hard-wired PCIe, as is customary for semi-modular PSUs.
sorry about that. I do need to study up on psu, been so long since I did a build for myself. now i just use a sweet GT-R Pro mini pc lol