Question new psu causing pc to restart?

Dec 8, 2019
I bought a Corsair CX750M 750w PSU to replace a 10 year old OCZ stealthxstream 700w since it's, ya know, 10 years old. (still works, just old) And when playing games, after a bit, anywhere from 20ish minutes to maybe an hour the monitors will go black and the gpu fan will get loud (even with the gpu temps reading at 73C, so it shouldnt be overheating issue) and restart.

Popped in the old PSU and no issues whatsoever so i RMA'd the corsair and they sent me a brand new one. Installed it and it does the exact same thing.

Checked cable connections and all are good. Games it's done it in are Modern Warfare, Destiny 2 and world of warcraft. Stress testing doesnt cause a restart either. Just games.

It's hard to believe that a $100 psu could be trash but playing games with it is the only time i have issues. specs are:

msi x370 gaming pro carbon (BIOS version 1.NV)
amd ryzen 3700x
gigabyte gtx 1080 turbo oc (the single fan one)
16gb g.skill tridentz 3200.

Called corsair's tech support line and they were less than helpful. (telling me to do a paper clip test when i told them i'm literally using that psu at that second with my pc on).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019
Seems to have just been the extreme low quality of the corsair psu. Went and got a seasonic focus 750w and no issues whatsoever

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS